AI comps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My two cents:I have an oceanic oc1 and my wife a liquivision lynx. We both have regular spg's as well for backup. The AI is so accurate that just today I was thinking of removing the traditional spg's so I can place another transmitter for both computers having only two high-pressure ports sucks!, that way if one fails my wife can check my pressure or I can check her pressure. She will also be able to locate me through the liquivision sonar.

I'll also add that my set up I have no SPG attached besides the transmitter. I do however have a back up computer I keep on me during the dive and a SPG I keep top side in my dive bag just in case. Yes I may have to abort a dive if I have a transmitter failure but I have not had one to date and I really like loosing that extra hose.

so to reiterate for the OP -- AI computers are just as reliable as any other computer and it's personal preference whether you want one or not (i like mine and i wish it was wireless) and there will always be dissenting opinions on SB here. Depending on various factors you may hit NDL before getting low on gas. But a computer - AI or NOT- are just a tool & you should have your dive plan decided before you hit the water - and dive your plan. I check my remaining pressure every couple of minutes whether i'm using my computer or an SPG from a rental - it's how i was taught & i like to keep an eye on it anyways.

i've got the Aeris A300 AI -- i like it but now wish i had gotten a wireless AI -- w/o a built in compass. eventually... (but i'll have a spg on a short hose as a backup i think. better safe than sorry.

Good but not enough. So heres a quiz: At what PSI should you start an ascent at say 100ft, to get your butt on the boat at 500psi? Maybe your AI comp will tell you that?

It takes me a little under 5 cu ft of gas, what is the size of my tank and its working pressure?

without having to take a quiz, ill try to answer your question.

i have an air integrated computer (galileo luna), three years + or so diving every weekend, sometimes more. i call my diving "backyard diving". its in my comfort zone, my own gear, my own dive buddies in areas im familiar with.

all said, never a failure, rock solid reliable.

1 batter change....I dont dive with a back up SPG. i have a general idea of what my tank reserve is if *ish ever hit the fan, i can work myself out of the situation.

i would forget all the doubters and nay sayers, get one if you feel like it.
This hobby is full of "expert opinions'.

If you dont want to rely solely on it, get a back up SPG.

good luck and good diving

I have a Luna with 524 logged dives on it. One battery change in the computer and one in the transmitter so far. No failures of any kind. During the time I've owned it, I have seen a few dives missed for failures with SPGs and HP hoses, including the 6" HP hose on my AL40 that I use for solo diving as a pony bottle. I have seen some other AI computers not sync up, at about the same rate as the SPG issues. So yes, they can be a point of failure, just like any other gear, but failures are pretty rare overall!

I don't have a SPG and transmitter on my reg at the same time. I do bring a SPG on a 26" hose with a bolt snap on trips, and it has been used once...by a guy with an SPG failure (IIRC it was the spool o-ring).

Would I buy another AI? Probably not, but mainly because my next computer will be a multi-gas tec computer (eg Shearwater petrel, X1, etc).

I've been using the Sherwood Wisdom (version 1) AI for 10 years and have always loved it and have always considered it worth it. I love having one place to see everything. I haven't had any issues with it, and as we were taught, I don't turn off my brain because I have a computer. I learned with tables and spent my first 2 years with a depth gauge, SPG and watch.

It depends on the diving that you do and if you foresee any changes as a diver in the next few years. My needs may be changing soon with a course I will probably be taking, and I may need to go to essentially a bottom timer and an SPG for the course. I'm not thrilled about not being able to use my AI computer, and would rather continue using my AI computer, so we shall see... So yes, I love my AI computer.

Back
Top Bottom