Ahhhhh…..the most controversial of subjects: snorkels (lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing more amazing than you capturing that photo (thanks to being able to grab the snorkel in your dive bag) is that you're spending your free time in T&C messing around on SB--and debating snorkels no less! When I'm out on a dive trip I don't think about this place and our silly debates, of which the snorkel debate is one of the silliest. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Hah! Thanks. But if I didn't enjoy chatting with you guys, I wouldn't do it!

True Story. Little Cayman. May 2018. First dive of the trip. Boat Dive.

Just to set the stage...... I think it's safe to say that most of us prefer to dive with the least amount necessary of added weight. ANd I think that most would agree that being a couple of lbs overweighted is better then being a couple of lbs underweighted. My personal "gauge" for proper weighting is the least amount of lead needed for me to comfortably hover with no tag or anchor line in 20 FSW open water with 300 PSI remaining... That number obviously needs to be adjusted to accommodate various gear, tank type, exposure suits, etc..... With that said.... in order to descend with that minimal weighting, many divers will COMPLETELY dump their BC and also COMPLETELY exhale in order to get started down...

So.......a woman on the boat with us had entered the water with her buddy. First dive of the trip and maybe she was nervous...who knows. So she signals OK to go down, dumps her BC and fully exhales through her reg to begin the descent... Then at about 5-7 feet deep with her momentum still headed down she goes ahead and inhales off of her reg....... only it wasn't her reg. It was her snorkel. Panic ensued. She somehow made it back the surface where the coughing and screaming started. She actually screamed...."I'm drowning". My buddy and myself were about 15ft away and still on the surface getting ready to descend. Her buddy was still headed down with no clue as to what was happening on the surface. We were able to get to her in a few seconds while yelling...... "Put your reg in, inflate your BC, drop your weights." My buddy (a fellow instructor), went right for her weights while I grabbed her tank valve from behind and then was able to get to her unattended inflator to inflate and then get her right back to the boat ladder that was only a few yards away. We had no idea what the problem was as she had spit her snorkel by then and was in panic mode.

It all turned out OK.... and after taking the rest of that day off she was back in the water the next day..... with NO snorkel...... and my buddy and I couldn't pay for a drink at Beach Nuts that night.

I would never say to anyone whether to use a snorkel or not while on SCUBA...... It's a personal choice. Just wanted to point out a real life example of where a snorkel on SCUBA actually almost killed someone..

Best thing about dive trips are being away from the darn phone and computer, however, the downside is the barrage of media and advertising when you return to the world.

It was hilarious to hear one of the reasons was a snorkel might catch on something.

Besides, split fins are the most controversial subject.

OK, maybe this is a total coincidence, or maybe it's the Sea Gods telling me to shut up about snorkels already. And now I'm really glad that I ALWAYS carry a snorkel with me...

I'm on a dive boat today in Turks and Caicos. During the surface interval, we see this:

View attachment 713465

So I grab my SNORKEL, which is in my dive bag, and jump in the water to get THIS:

View attachment 713466
...and look at how fast that whale is heading to Davy Jones locker after he saw you wearing that snorkel! :)

It was a long time ago when I didn't have as much experience. Now, I hover horizontally.

When at your safety stop my opinion is to just do what is most comfortable and maintainable for you. Sure, I can hover horizontally at the stop....... but I personally prefer a vertical hover in that it allows me to better rotate and evaluate everything around and above me.

So we can ditch our dive computers for recreational and deco diving? Never been really needed.
As I said, take <whatever> if you feel you need it. I need -- i.e., strongly desire -- additional bottom time for multi-level dives, mandating a computer for me in such situations. Whether you use a computer or not is your business, not mine.

True Story. Little Cayman. May 2018. First dive of the trip. Boat Dive.

Just to set the stage...... I think it's safe to say that most of us prefer to dive with the least amount necessary of added weight. ANd I think that most would agree that being a couple of lbs overweighted is better then being a couple of lbs underweighted. My personal "gauge" for proper weighting is the least amount of lead needed for me to comfortably hover with no tag or anchor line in 20 FSW open water with 300 PSI remaining... That number obviously needs to be adjusted to accommodate various gear, tank type, exposure suits, etc..... With that said.... in order to descend with that minimal weighting, many divers will COMPLETELY dump their BC and also COMPLETELY exhale in order to get started down...

So.......a woman on the boat with us had entered the water with her buddy. First dive of the trip and maybe she was nervous...who knows. So she signals OK to go down, dumps her BC and fully exhales through her reg to begin the descent... Then at about 5-7 feet deep with her momentum still headed down she goes ahead and inhales off of her reg....... only it wasn't her reg. It was her snorkel. Panic ensued. She somehow made it back the surface where the coughing and screaming started. She actually screamed...."I'm drowning". My buddy and myself were about 15ft away and still on the surface getting ready to descend. Her buddy was still headed down with no clue as to what was happening on the surface. We were able to get to her in a few seconds while yelling...... "Put your reg in, inflate your BC, drop your weights." My buddy (a fellow instructor), went right for her weights while I grabbed her tank valve from behind and then was able to get to her unattended inflator to inflate and then get her right back to the boat ladder that was only a few yards away. We had no idea what the problem was as she had spit her snorkel by then and was in panic mode.

It all turned out OK.... and after taking the rest of that day off she was back in the water the next day..... with NO snorkel...... and my buddy and I couldn't pay for a drink at Beach Nuts that night.

I would never say to anyone whether to use a snorkel or not while on SCUBA...... It's a personal choice. Just wanted to point out a real life example of where a snorkel on SCUBA actually almost killed someone..

I haven't inhaled on it underwater, because it's a snorkel, but several times on decent between 15 and 30 feet I've had to switch to my reg because I wasn't thinking before heading down.

It's good you guys were there for that woman, it could have gotten really bad. Nice save.

When at your safety stop my opinion is to just do what is most comfortable and maintainable for you. Sure, I can hover horizontally at the stop....... but I personally prefer a vertical hover in that it allows me to better rotate and evaluate everything around and above me.

Especially above, both for safety purposes, and in case something cool is swimming on the surface, or mid-water. When you're horizontal, your orientation is below, which is good when thats where all the action is. But at the safety stop ....

To turn the question around, I dont know why anyone would want to be horizontal during a safety stop, unless it was a swimming safety stop.

Back
Top Bottom