Ahhhhh…..the most controversial of subjects: snorkels (lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a snorkel to be useful for long surface swims through the kelp forest where flipping over on your back would result in your tank valve getting completely wrapped up in kelp. The idea is to surface swim past all the shallow boring stuff out to the deeper part to the “drop zone”. Snorkeling out on your belly allows you to view the scene below you and to navigate through the kelp whilst saving your precious tank air for your dive.
However, of late the kelp forests in Kalifornia have been decimated by those damn pirple urchins so a snorkel is just a useless dangly that doesn’t really need to be there right now since the surface is pretty much free and clear of obstructions. But then, if someone really likes to surface swim face down looking at the scene below them kicking out to the ‘drop zone’ kelp or no kelp then I suppose a snorkel is a perfectly good tool to have.
Did it ever bother me attached to the side of my mask, naw, I’m used to it, no problem.

The BP/W is not the problem. The weights in the side pockets are what's tipping you forward at the surface. I had the same problem when I dove with a ScubaPro Nighthawk (which is a back inflate design same as a wing), that had large side pockets on the waist strap. I also had the tipping forward problem while trying to hold a vertical safety stop at 15 feet. I had to constantly fight to keep from tipping forward. Eventually, I found that during the dive in a horizontal position caused the weights to fall down to the front of the weight pockets. When going vertical the weights stayed in the front of the pockets causing me to rotate forward. The solution was after going vertical I would lean back, grab the weight pockets, lift and shake them slightly so the weights would slide to the back, preventing the tipping problem you're complaining about. If this doesn't work for you try moving the weight pockets further back along the waist straps if you can.

Will check that once I hit open water next, but I doubt it. Because my weight pockets bolt-on to the backplate and wrap around my belly angled a little downwards ( when standing up) along the waist belt with the centreline at the navel. It’s the smallest size pocket that can barely accommodate 2kg each and I use 1kg per side. But yeah let me rework the positioning and see… (and before anyone asks - it’s an Xdeep Zen fyi).

Where did your regulators go

I've used a roll-up snorkel maybe once in the last five years, while waiting for the group in rough seas. It usually lives on the bottom of my dive bag unless there's super choppy conditions where it might have a use.

Whenever I have to wait to be picked up by the boat I always wish I have a snorkel if the sea is rough.

You may actually never need one but I’ve been glad I had one lots of times. Anyone who has dived Ireland,s coast will know why.

They work on the surface you know

And of course, there are many who do lots of very big dives in very rough surface conditions who never carry a snorkel, so it's hardly a necessity.

Talking about stating the obvious, I was talking about surface conditions experienced on the Irish coast.
What are they? Most of my diving is in the North Atlantic too, but I can’t remember seeing an experienced local diver with a snorkel on their mask.

Where did your regulators go

It's generally in my mouth on the surface if seas are choppy, but there was no need to burn up my gas at the beginning of a dive while waiting for unprepared divers. I don't remember what the problem was, but they took forever. I happened to have a roll up in a pocket, so I chose to use it.

I also had the tipping forward problem while trying to hold a vertical safety stop at 15 feet. I had to constantly fight to keep from tipping forward.
Why would you want to be vertical during your safety stop?

So in that case we would have the same options. I ALWAYS have a snorkel with me for just such an occasion. It’s just in my dive bag, and not tied to my head.
I completely agree, and for me the experience of not having a snorkel handy in my dive bag was a lesson learned.

As for use of a snorkel during diving, the roll-up snorkel stowed in a pocket for use only if needed seems like the best option, though I haven't gotten around to buying one.

What are they? Most of my diving is in the North Atlantic too, but I can’t remember seeing an experienced local diver with a snorkel on their mask.
Moderate surf on the best day of the year on the southwest and west, increasing on bad days. The swells are all year round and can reach 15m in a storm and break over 100 foot cliffs. If someone wishes to use a snorkel for whatever reason it’s their business. I don’t understand the connection between experienced and the choice to bring a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom