Ahhhhh…..the most controversial of subjects: snorkels (lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A snorkel is less than $15 bucks even in overpriced tourist locations. Not really worth the research time, IMO - if in doubt, just buy one and then you’ll either use it or you won’t 🤷🏻‍♂️
Maybe in Mexico. Most shops near me want $50 or more for some models. Here ya go: Scubapro Spectra Dry Snorkel $75.00 USD

Moderate surf on the best day of the year on the southwest and west, increasing on bad days. The swells are all year round and can reach 15m in a storm and break over 100 foot cliffs.

I would say that's a blowout day.

If someone wishes to use a snorkel for whatever reason it’s their business.

Seriously, why use language like this?

Are you under the impression that people arguing against the use of a snorkel strapped to a mask in this thread are somehow trying to enforce a no-snorkel rule?

Of course it's their business. And most people figure out their own practices by listing to other people's approaches, and trying to find out what's best.

Do you think that there is no way a person who wears a snorkel would ever stop if they read a good argument against it? If you think that, then what's the point of this forum? Just so we can fight and win?

Maybe in Mexico. Most shops near me want $50 or more for some models. Here ya go: Scubapro Spectra Dry Snorkel $75.00 USD

Wow, that's crazy! :snorkels: Probably the same here, just never paid attention.

If anyone has leftover PVC from their bathroom remodel, I found this online.
1647894204143.png

I would say that's a blowout day.

Seriously, why use language like this?

Are you under the impression that people arguing against the use of a snorkel strapped to a mask in this thread are somehow trying to enforce a no-snorkel rule?

Of course it's their business. And most people figure out their own practices by listing to other people's approaches, and trying to find out what's best.

Do you think that there is no way a person who wears a snorkel would ever stop if they read a good argument against it? If you think that, then what's the point of this forum? Just so we can fight and win?
I think you picked me up wrong or didn’t read the post I was replying to, I’ve already said I wouldn’t attach a snorkel to a mask but slip it under the strap when needed, it was another poster that made the smart remark that a snorkel is used on the surface, so if you feel like cribbing take it up with them. You were very quick to answer my reply.

I think you picked me up wrong or didn’t read the post I was replying to, I’ve already said I wouldn’t attach a snorkel to a mask but slip it under the strap when needed, it was another poster that made the smart remark that a snorkel is used on the surface, so if you feel like cribbing take it up with them. You were very quick to answer my reply.

I apologize. Must have missed something. Don't mean to be rude.

I just don't like comments like "If someone wants to use a snorkel it's their business". I just don't get it. the implication is that everyone is allowed to use a snorkel. I don't see how that's a logical answer to any statement here unless the statement was something like "I forbid you to use a snorkel, and I'm going to see that you don't".

OK, maybe this is a total coincidence, or maybe it's the Sea Gods telling me to shut up about snorkels already. And now I'm really glad that I ALWAYS carry a snorkel with me...

I'm on a dive boat today in Turks and Caicos. During the surface interval, we see this:

whale_on_surface.jpg

So I grab my SNORKEL, which is in my dive bag, and jump in the water to get THIS:

14.jpg

That’s one costly snorkel!! Fair point though, my reference point is just Mexico. But scuba stuff tends to cost way more here than in the US, so I’d be surprised if you can’t get a cheap basic snorkel in the 15-20 bucks range up there.

Make it 40, even - still a pretty cheap purchase!

I apologize. Must have missed something. Don't mean to be rude.

I just don't like comments like "If someone wants to use a snorkel it's their business". I just don't get it. the implication is that everyone is allowed to use a snorkel. I don't see how that's a logical answer to any statement here unless the statement was something like "I forbid you to use a snorkel, and I'm going to see that you don't".
I wasn't being short with you, by their business i was talk about their personal reasons for using one, some divers make long surface swims when shore diving, others don and doff their gear in the water making a snorkel very handy in a chop. I personally don't like it attached to my mask but for some divers who use a snorkel on every dive its handy in order not to lose it when taking off a mask.

I'm on a dive boat today in Turks and Caicos. During the surface interval, we see this:
The only thing more amazing than you capturing that photo (thanks to being able to grab the snorkel in your dive bag) is that you're spending your free time in T&C messing around on SB--and debating snorkels no less! When I'm out on a dive trip I don't think about this place and our silly debates, of which the snorkel debate is one of the silliest. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom