Ahhhhh…..the most controversial of subjects: snorkels (lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although off topic, I'd just like to add that situations like the one I described above are exactly why my main dive buddy and Brother from a Different Mother NEVER EVER flash our Instructor cards on dive vacations. We just show our AOW cards and EAN cards and make it a point to never discuss our "rating" with the operators or other divers on the boat.

I totally stand by my signature line...... "Qualified trumps Certified" Every day of the week!

Doesn't work as well when your on a boat that you did your IDC or work at.

Although off topic, I'd just like to add that situations like the one I described above are exactly why my main dive buddy and Brother from a Different Mother NEVER EVER flash our Instructor cards on dive vacations. We just show our AOW cards and EAN cards and make it a point to never discuss our "rating" with the operators or other divers on the boat.

I totally stand by my signature line...... "Qualified trumps Certified" Every day of the week!
Why? If it happens in the US, the attorney for the plaintiff is going to query every agency with the names of all people on the boat to find out if they are a dive pro. That's what I heard when I attended a lecture from a lawyer at DEMA 2017.

Hey folks.... How about we take this discussion about declaring pro status to a different and dedicated thread so not to take away from the intent of the OP on this thread. I apologize to the OP for me sidetracking this...

I have read all the stories that I could find on Internet about people lost, forgotten or left alone at sea. One thing always comes out is that all the divers who suffered this predicament swear that they will never again dive in the ocean/ sea without a snorkel. As 99% of my dives are in the ocean/ sea, I always carry a foldable snorkel. In the beginning, I had a snorkel tied to my mask. Never bothered me but I lost two without even realizing it until I surfaced so it’s in my BCD pocket now. Only once, one DM asked me why I was carrying a snorkel. I told him that if he could guarantee in writing that I would not need one, I would be happy to leave it in my bag.

I just had an idea … that I could unclip the snorkel from the mask strap once I am at 6mtr on the way down and clip it somewhere on the left harness or backplate with another snorkel holder permanently attached at the location? And then at the safety stop on the way up, remove and clip it back to the mask strap… (I already have a non-folding snorkel so…)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom