Ahhhhh…..the most controversial of subjects: snorkels (lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our son blew our minds 2 days ago. He’s 33 and wants to learn how to dive!!!!!! We are SO excited. For years he said he was not interested. Comes to be he was afraid he couldn’t pass the pool test. I had related to him how tough it is to tread water for 10 min with your arms above your head. He said he tried and just couldn’t do it. (Ok, this is my bad. Times changed, I was taught by an ex navy seal and we earned that certification.) I let him know this was no longer a qualification. Sooooo……in discussions about dive gear the infamous snorkel came up.

is it a requirement to purchase us demonstrate usage of a snorkel?

I have been certified for….oh damn, way to long and have never needed or used a snorkel. I quit event carrying one. Mom, my dive buddy is a new diver with only 35 years and 800+ dives (yep a novice) and never needed or used a snorkel.

Will he be required to buy a snorkel? Yep we are talking about minor cost but why waste money?

I will admit, I am anti snorkel. Sure, some will have experiences where a snorkel wasneeded. But in my years it’s a no go.

B

Since 1986 I have always had a snorkel with me and it has come in handy many times. Also good to have between dives when it can be fun to snorkel over a shallow reef during surface intervals on day boat trips. Hardly controversial subject matter.

I would agree that when starting out, a snorkel would be mandatory for training. If he does decide to buy one, take a look at Scubapro's crush proof snorkel. Don't buy the type that self drain.

PADI (and probably all the others) require it for the OW course. Probably one that attaches to your mask strap, because you have to do the "snorkel-regulator exchange" skill (unless they changed that). I suppose we'll get the usual opinions on snorkels so I'll tell my story first. Started (2005) with attached snorkel. Progressed to foldable snorkel in BC pocket. Now no snorkel unless I suspect wicked current or it's an unknown site (rare for me). I snorkeled for 35-40 years prior to OW certification. It would be nice if some snorkeling experience were a prerequisite. I have a whole bunch of them I've found over the years but it's cost more to send one to you than to buy a cheap one.

There is no discussion nor controversy whatsoever with the snorkel. Always with me hanging in my mask. I use it many times when I'm in the water in the surface waiting for the group to enter the water or when swimming back to the boat. Fresh air not so cold from the tank. A lot of good reasons to use it.

PADI and SDI standards require a snorkel for Basic Open Water classes. NAUI used to, but took it out of standards a couple of years ago. So, if your son is taking the basic course under the first two agencies listed above then the snorkel will be required.

Although some dislike carrying a snorkel while on scuba it is a good idea for dive students to learn how to use one. There is a time and place for the snorkel, therefore it isn’t a bad idea to at least have it in the dive bag.

PADI (and probably all the others) require it for the OW course. Probably one that attaches to your mask strap, because you have to do the "snorkel-regulator exchange" skill (unless they changed that). I suppose we'll get the usual opinions on snorkels so I'll tell my story first. Started (2005) with attached snorkel. Progressed to foldable snorkel in BC pocket. Now no snorkel unless I suspect wicked current or it's an unknown site (rare for me). I snorkeled for 35-40 years prior to OW certification. It would be nice if some snorkeling experience were a prerequisite. I have a whole bunch of them I've found over the years but it's cost more to send one to you than to buy a cheap one.

What he said.

I've used a roll-up snorkel maybe once in the last five years, while waiting for the group in rough seas. It usually lives on the bottom of my dive bag unless there's super choppy conditions where it might have a use.

I did use it for a year or so for long surface swims while diving from shore. Once I figured out how to hold an azimuth with landmarks, it was retired.

After discarding the snorkel for last 7years as a distracting appendage always rubbing the sides of my face, I think I now need to to use one permanently on my dives. My new BP/W always topples me forwards face down and if I inflate it just minimally to prevent toppling forwards, I can only barely keep my chin above the water. This was in a pool test without waves so I think out in the open ocean with waves it’s going to be a necessity. The other thing that dismays me about the BP/W setup is that I’m afraid I will not be able to handle a “lost at sea on the surface for hours” scenario comfortably leaning back in a relaxed position with my neck out of the water like with a BCD - I expect to be struggling to recover from a face down position every minute on the surface… or keep the snorkel permanently in my mouth… yet to dive open water with it so maybe I’ll figure it out after a few dives … let’s see… possibly in a genuine scenario, dump the 2kg weights in the side pockets I got, and hope for a higher-up posture with minimal inflation?

I never found use for a snorkel while diving, i dont even carry one.

YMMV.

I would agree that when starting out, a snorkel would be mandatory for training. If he does decide to buy one, take a look at Scubapro's crush proof snorkel. Don't buy the type that self drain.
What’s the issue with self draining ones?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom