Ahhhh . . . warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
O'Hana-

I'm going to be in Maui (Kapalua) from April 25th through the 29th. I've already PM'd Kid Spot, but wanted to post here to see if anyone else is up for some diving.

The trip is for a wedding, but since I get in on a Wednesday (wedding is on a Saturday) I should have a fair amount of free time.

On a related note, I'm debating whether to bring my surfboard, but I've only surfed on Oahu in the past (the North Shore and the West Side-and I didn't get beat either time . . . ), and don't know much about Maui surf. If there is decent surf to be had, I may lug it along. Alternatively, if there is a local source to rent a GOOD longboard, I'd be willing to hear about that. I'd prefer not to ride a big ole' waterlogged tank, but then again, just surfing in warm water will be pleasant. My dream wave is no longer third reef at Steamer's in Santa Cruz, it is more along the line of shoulder to head high and clean . . .

Mainly, I'm just stoked to get out of Seattle, see the sun, and dive in something besides 46 degree water with 10 feet of vis for a few days.

-Doug

I thought it was cold this morning...better bring the 5 mil.

You'll probably see and hear whales, that's nice.

If you hear "Wahhh it's cold" while under water, Catherine will be near by.

By the end of April, things will be starting to warm up again a bit, hopefully.

I'll be back on-island for that timeframe -- send me a PM when the time gets closer and we'll see if we can't figure out a dive.

Of course, compared to Seattle, the water is going to feel warm, even if it is still only 75 degrees... :)

I have no idea on surf conditions, nor *quality* board rental. It's possible you can find a place on-island, but I'm sorry I can't point you in the right direction.

I know this is a Scubaboard but he asked, so I am giving my 2 cents...
I used to go to Maui 1-2 times a year to get my wave sailing fix, haven't been back since I got certified (so many other places to check out). I train (jiu-jitsu), with many Hawaiians, super GREAT people and attitude, but the boys from Maui LOVE to fight. So, from one howlee to another, in my early 20's I was in few beach altercations...euros and locals. But, I have also been in altercations in Santa Cruz (Davenport & Wadlen Beaches). Last time I was there (mid-30's) I had no bad vide at, water or beach. YOu have been on the north shore you know the routine, be respectful, wait you turn (even if it is hours) and don't snake.

I would just rent unless you are really attached to you ride. If you rent you can try differnet shapes/shapers and sizes depending on conditions. All the equipment that I have rented was always in great condition.

Thanks everyone,

KrisB, I'll PM you when it gets closer.

Clown Trigger: Funny, I grew up surfing Santa Cruz, I know the Davenport scene well, and was raised to respect the locals (especially the guys charging those spots north of town). My one time at Makaha (a few feet overhead and perfect) involved getting out there before everyone woke up. When about 8 dudes had filled up the lineup, the "hey, what's the haole doing here?" comments started, but they all were cool once I went out of my way to give them respect (by the end of the day, they were telling the haole to take waves . . . want to talk about pressure to not blow the drop . . .)

I certainly know the reputation over there, since I am a traveling surfer now, I'm sensitive to the local vibe. Last thing I want is my face rearranged by some pissed-off locals.

Everyone-

Since it is now a month away, I thought I'd revive this thread.

I'm flying in the afternoon of Wednesday the 25th, and would be interested in diving the mornings of the 26th or 27th. A shallow, mellow, early morning shore dive on the 28th is a possibility, my flight is not until 2 pm on the 29th.

If anyone wants to get a dive in I'd love to hear from you.

-Doug

Indeed I am excited. I haven't seen an air temp north of 60 since last October, and the warmest water I'ved dived in during the same time period was probably 48 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom