BP/W in warm water without wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious, why the 32#? We use those up here for cold water, steel tanks and thick neoprene. 23# is nice in warm water. 18# is like wearing nothing.

I always use two cam bands. XS Scuba pockets on the upper, and on the waist.

How are you planning to rig the split saddle? Needs some imagination or punch holes and grommets.

I guess I assumed the split saddle would connect up somewhere on the BP with all those slots and holes. Honestly haven't looked into that part though

I guess I assumed the split saddle would connect up somewhere on the BP with all those slots and holes. Honestly haven't looked into that part though

The back is a 1" slider, the front is the trick. It was designed to work with Zeagle products that have grommets on the front of the BC. You can punch holes is the waist belt (install grommets is a smart idea to reinforce this if you go this route), then use the included plastic sex bolts that come with it.

I did something else, using pin mounts with a split ring from Piranha, threading the webbing loop from the saddle to the ring, and using the pin mount to the waist webbing. Has worked well this way.

Still working on other options as I am always tinkering....

YMMV

So I'm rethinking the aluminum plate. If I weigh about 215, and let's say I decide even in warm water to dive with a 3 mil suit (full length - I don't have a shorty) and I use 5 mil boots I think. I really don't like weight belts and would like to have my weights in pockets on my BP/W. Possibly some trim weight and and some waist strap pockets.

The challenge I have right now in picking out this system is I'm likely not going to have a chance to dive before going to raja ampat this fall. So I need flexibility to get trimmed out on some test dives when I arrive. Some of the online calculators are saying if I dive with AL tanks I might need around 16lbs with a 3 mil suit (and it didn't account for boots or any positively buoyant parts on my BP - though I don't think I will have any). That just seems way high to me. I don't know that I've ever been diving with that much weight - and Ive had a regular jacket BC in the past. I think I dove with steel 120s with aldora in Cozumel, and maybe had 12 pounds with a 3 mil suit? I know I dive typically between 10lbs (shorty) and 12lbs. So I would think with a BP and wing I would need less than that? Maybe the safe bet is 2 pockets that hold 6 lbs each, and then a couple of cam strap trim pockets? And if I'm going to need that much weight in pockets - why not just go with the SS plate?

Can you get to a pool and do a weight check on you and your suit?
How much lead in your hand lets you hover fairly stable a few feet down with modest breath hold. Or even better on scuba letting the BC float dangling down from the surface above you, but breath hold would be a start. No suit. Just mask and fins, or just mask.

Your suit: how much lead in a mesh bag causes it to hover just below the surface, or maybe also at 8-15'. suit, booties, hood, gloves.

What is the (negative) buoyancy of the rest of your stuff. Maybe put the lights, etc. in with the suit bag. But not the regs! They likely do not like very much depth unless on a tank.

Then convert from fresh to salt to get a rough start.

That would narrow this down.

If you need 12 lb. in scuba, a 5 lb. plate puts you at 7 lb. to play with which is fine for trim. Though maybe not for trim and a meaningful amount ditchable. If you prefer some ditchable (I do).
If you've been over weighted in the past, it might be much less, which means less to play with for trim and ditchable. Hard to tell with out knowing how much lead you really need.

On needing to find homes for more lead with a cut out steel or AL plate. For the cut out plate, you can easily zip tie a few weights at your destination to the plate, at the height you've found works best, so it is not as if you need pockets for all of it. Just for your ditchable and any trim not on the plate.

OK so after reading all of the above posts - this is what I'm thinking about getting, to provide the best single tank setup for me while watching costs:
Vintage Double Hose Argonaut #32lb (doesn't seem to be much drawback to going to the larger wing)
DGX XT Lite ( I like the idea of stainless steel for durability and strength - though AL would probably be fine)
DGX Deluxe Harness
Zeagle Split straps

So what else do I need? Is a single tank adapter needed? What suggestions for cam straps (trying to keep the overall weight down for travel - but seems like 1 lb each for a ss cam strap. Do I need two cam straps? Finally what assembly hardware?

Thanks all!

I would go for a smaller wing. While there may not be much of a drawback in going to a larger one, you just don't need that much lift unless your rig is extremely overweighted. I have the 18# VDH wing and even with a steel BP, two lights, and a heavy first stage, plus 4 lbs to sink me in my 3mm wetsuit, it's more than enough. I'm sure it would even still be fine with my 5mm.

Also, you won't need the DGX Deluxe Harness if you want to go with the split straps as you will end up with an extra crotch strap.

STA is not needed since the VDH wings have integrated roll control built into them. You will need two cam straps and two assembly screws (sex bolts) to complete the setup.

IMO, take a look at the DGX Custom Harness / Backplate / Wing package. It has everything you need and is perfect for a first BP/W (it was for me!). Now I just need to figure out how to stop accumulating more backplates and wings...

I always wear at least a 2mm shorty. The straps will dig in and become uncomfortable, unless you get a padded harness.

, take a look at the DGX Custom Harness / Backplate / Wing package. It has everything you need and is perfect for a first BP/W (it was for me!). Now I just need to figure out how to stop accumulating more backplates and wings...

If you figure that out, please share. I’m looking into getting my first bp/w and with all the choices I can see how it’s easy to accumulate more and more.

If you figure that out, please share. I’m looking into getting my first bp/w and with all the choices I can see how it’s easy to accumulate more and more.

You're doomed, might as well give up now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom