After Diving for the day-what else to do in Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After done diving for the day and not night diving what else is there to do in Cozumel---besides eating, drinking and laying on the beach or by a pool?

Planning our first trip to Cozumel and we would like your advice!

Having a hard time waiting until the end of April!

I want to get on the plane now and leave!

Thanks, Waiting in Arizona!

It's certainly not Cancun. Night life is not much to write home about but we are always ready to just hang out and hit the rack after bed anyway. When you get up at 6:45 everymorning to go diving most don't party much at night anyway. Not a good idea when your doing multi day dives day after day for over a week.

azsilver:
After done diving for the day and not night diving what else is there to do in Cozumel---besides eating, drinking and laying on the beach or by a pool?
Shopping.

We are looking for other things to do after a day of 2 tanks iin the morning and we have the afternoon and the early evening---and we do not party or drink when diving....I know how boring! But I am not interested in DCI.
Thanks, AZ divers

azsilver:
We are looking for other things to do after a day of 2 tanks iin the morning and we have the afternoon and the early evening---and we do not party or drink when diving....I know how boring! But I am not interested in DCI.
Thanks, AZ divers

Shopping's good. But don't buy at the docks or at the "mall". They are marked up and tend to be more pricey. You can find good deals, but have to look harder. They don't barter as much there (in my experience). Ask around and go downtown for the good shopping. You will find block after block of mom & pop shops. You can make some killer deals here. Besides dive, shop, and eat, that is all I do when I go there. Haven't found much else. Good luck. You'll have a blast.

azsilver:

Planning our first trip to Cozumel and we would like your advice!

Having a hard time waiting until the end of April!

I want to get on the plane now and leave!

Thanks, Waiting in Arizona!
As Mike pointed out, it's not Cancun - yet - for which we are eternally grateful. One non-diving must-do is the around the island excursion.
In town, the museum is something all should see, IMO. There are the San Gervasio ruins in the middle of the island, but rent a car or cab it there; don't take the bus tour.
There is, I hear, a golf course there now, if you are into that.
You can do some shallow shore dives off Villblanca and La Ceiba (or whatever it's called now).
You can go to Chankanaab park and tour the botanical garden and zoo, and do a shore dive into the vestibule of the underground cave system.
You can go to San Francisco Beach and go parasailing.
You can go into town and sit in a sidewalk cafe sipping a cold cervesa (one or two won't hurt you) and watch the world go by.

Avoid Carlos n' Charlie's (and the rest of that mall) and Hard Rock Cafe.

Whatever you end up doing, the likelihood of you getting bored and wishing you were back home is extremely low.

Rent a car & check out the lighthouse at the southern tip of the island. Then, stop at Bob Marleys bar & have a few cold beers. Body surf or boogieboard on the beautiful beaches on the east side of the island. Check out the ruins of San Gervasio & El Cederal.
Go horseback riding.
Snorkel
Eat at all the wonderful little, out of the way restaurants.
Carlos & Charlies can be fun, at night. If you like loud music, drinking & dancing it's the place to be.
There is a golf couse. It was designed by the Nicklaus Design Group.
Take an organized tour: Jeep tour. ATV tour.
If your staying at a larger hotel, they may have pool & beach activities such as sand volleyball, pool basketball, contests, bingo etc...
There is plenty to do topside.

Dif'rent strokes... about Carlos n' Charlie's.

It used to be a funky little place up a flight of stairs overlooking the waterfront, with peanut shells on the floor, a decent kitchen, and cheap drinks. Now they have gone upscale; their drink prices have skyrocketed, and they have sold out to the cruise ship crowd. Their new place reminds me of a mall bar in Anytown, USA.

Some non-cruising folks go there, I guess, but it just ain't what it used to be.

Has anyone windsurfed in Cozumel? My husband wants to do some windsurfing when we are there.

Thanks, AZ divers

have not seen any windsurfing but there are some places you can rent sea doos. Presidente has several for rent.

We do alot of sunning, reading and just relaxing. Dinner about 5 or 5:30 to beat most of the crowd and then back to hotel/condo to hang out. Not overly exciting for many but we do it to just relax. Works well for us over 40 crowd! LOL

Back
Top Bottom