After Diving for the day-what else to do in Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver:
We are looking for other things to do after a day of 2 tanks iin the morning and we have the afternoon and the early evening---and we do not party or drink when diving....I know how boring!
Pick a hotel with a nice reef just offshore. The your daily sked will be:
morning dives,
lunch,
afternoon shore dives,
siesta
night boat dive,
dinner
repeat, repeat, repeat :bounce: :chicken:

On a more serious note, the central square is a nice place to just hang out, sip your non-alcoholic drink, and people watch. Sunday evening is when the locals throng to the square.

The shopping gets old pretty quickly once you have seen the 100th T-shirt shop or 100th jewelry shop.

Although I haven't done it personally, several other divers have told me that part of their Coz routine is to rent a jeep on the day before their flight and take a tour around the island, including the southern lighthouse and the beaches on the east shore.

I agree with most of the posts i.e. usually just want to hang out at the pool, take a siesta etc. etc. but sometimes we like to break up the week by taking a day trip to the ruins at Tulum or some of the other sites on the mainland. You take a ferry to get over there. Enjoy!!!!

If your going to go to the mainland, diving the cenotes is a must! Tulum would come in as a close 2nd, for me.

IF you have reasonable experience driving motorcycles, it's a blast to cruise around the island on a moped. Each day after diving we'd jump on the moped and go somewhere new. That said, I would not recommend mopeds for the inexperienced. Saw a tourist moped rider getting carried off in an ambulance at the end of a fabulous day.

My buddy is a very experienced rider, so I felt reasonably safe on the back while went to San Gervasio, went WAY up north on Melgar until it turned into a gravel road and dead-ended on a beach, went off-road on the NE corner of the island. Just fun exploring. And of course going to the east side of the island, to el Mirador, the lighthouse, etc and just checking out the big beautiful waves on that side is great - find a nice little beachfront bar/restaurant like El Paso de Cedral and watch the sunset. Take a picnic lunch to San Gervasio ruins and hang out there for a while; the area is beautiful, lots of shade and iguanas. You can just relax and soak up the history of the place.

Since you can't really do anything strenuous after diving, a good thing to do esp if it's raining is catch a movie at the Cinepolis. They're standard American flicks subtitled in Spanish, so you can practice your language skills.

Take the ferry to Playa del Carmen and walk around there for a change of scenery and prices (cheaper). Ferry costs $9 each way.

If you take a day off, I'd recommend going to Tulum. Those Mayans really knew good real estate when they saw it. You can then head to the beaches south of there to check out the topless Euros playing in the waves - and join them! There's a nice little bar right on the beach a ways down the beach, swings for barstools, string chairs and hammocks, great pina coladas. Sooooo chill... :approve_2

I hear Xel Ha is a fun water park where you can float for miles through the mangroves and swim with the dolphins, among other things. That would also be a day trip or part II of a trip to Tulum.

Oh, and Sunday nights are a must at the plaza. Don't know what it's all about, but the locals put on quite an interesting show from 8-10pm every Sunday. The costumes alone are worth seeing.

Have a great time! I'm so jealous.

In no particular order:

1. Take the ferry over to the mainland and tour Xcaret, Tulum, Chitzen Itza & other famous Mayan Cities like Coba (recommended). Your travel agent or Coz hotel arrange these, or you can do them on your own. BTW, if you decide to do Chitzen Itza, fly. The bus trip is a killer.

Also over on that side is the Crococun Zoological Park. I haven't done it, but it's been highly recommended to me by several people. It's just a bit north of Puerto Morelos, which is north of Playa del Carmen where to Coz passenger ferries dock. I'd guess it's about 20-30 min north on the highway to Cancun, on the right.

Or, just take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, walk arond & have lunch at one of the many nice eatries. Ferries leave regularly from early AM to late PM, take about 1/2 hour & cost about $US17 r/t.

2. If you've got about $125 burning a hole in your pocket, play golf at the new Cozumel Country Club up north (shop around for a possible deal).

3. Or spend much less for Golfito where you can walkie-talkie for cold margaritas.

4. Anticlimatic for most divers, non-divers enjoy the Atlantis Submarine Tour.

5.There's some rather good deep sea fishing off Coz. Try Albatros. If you'd rather fish the lagoons or flats, contact me & I'll hook you up with a private guide.

6. Go parasailing. Serval places do this, and one is Fury Cats.

7. Like rodeos? Check out the Bull Riding Rodeo action across from Puerta Maya Pier.

8. Feel like shooting? Paint Ball Cozumel is ~1 mi south of International Pier. Not a great l0oking course, but okay.

9. See the wilds with Dune Buggy Tours (used to be Tarzan Tours). Office on 7th street, between 5th Ave & Melgar, but they'll pick you up at your hotel. I don't like these contraptions violating the east side, but you'll see parts of Coz you won't get to otherwise.

10. Horseback riding places that I know of include Los Laureles, Palmitas, San Miguel & Rancho Buenavista Ranches, all south of town. Likely there are others. Hotel can arrange.

11. IMHO, an often missed gem is the Museo de las Isla de Cozumel at Melgar between Calles 4 & 6N. Cool reef diaorama, very informative tours if the curator is around, and a terrace restaurant with nice water view & good breakfast.

12. Beto has reopened his go cart track further south of the old location. Heading south as you approach Puerta Maya it's on the left.

13. Cozumel Archaeological Park, about 10 min east of town on Cross Island Road (Av 65 S, I believe), near San Gervasio. See the ruins, both natural & reproductions, in the area. Conitnue on around to the east side and see the Castillo Real & Tumba El Caracol ruins.

14. Helicopter tours. Was Rio Blanco, but think it's Star something now. Anyway, pad is just south of the International Pier. Ask around.

15. I'm not into captive dolphins, but if you are down at Chankanaab Park is Dolphin Discovery. Also a small botanical garden.

16. If you personally are interested in diving caverns/caves on Coz proper, I can orient you to the locations & natures of several sites, but easiest is to go through Yucatech Expeditions. They can also hook you up with mainalnd cenote/cave diving, as can most Coz ops.

17. Haven't done this one, there's a small, uninhabited island in the far north called Isla de la Pasion. Supposedly has nice beach, but probably mobbed by cruisers. Need boat to get there--hotel can arrange.

18. Pay a visit (and make a donation) to one of the hyperbaric chambers that is open on a regular basis (one at the beach is not). I'd recommend the BMM facility over the one run by Dr. Piccolo. Can be informative & you'll have a good chance to see it operating. BMM is at Calle 5 Sur, #21-B, right next to the DAN Products shop.

19. Treat yourself to a message. There are a number of places to go, but great on the body & easy on the eyes is mi amiga, Helen Green. I also hear good things about Laura DiTuri (lauritad@hotmail.com) who'll come to your hotel.

20. Take a bike cruise. Can rent em at Aguilar Rentadora, just north of Calle 5 & Melgar, and at the No Name Bar (it's up for sale but hasn't been bought yet best as I know) right across the street from the International Pier. Stay off the main roads as much as possible. I can work out a route for you if you need one.

21. Squash can be had on Juarez & 75th Ave, left just before the "second" PEMEX station. Nice, new facility

22. Can never go wrong movies, and new 6-screen Cinepolis is right behind Chedraui shopping center.

23. If your group includes adult males looking for some raunchy doings, check out the Caribbean Queen (the raunchiest of the lot) on the Cross Island Road, or in town at Platino's (costly fun) or Negro & Blanco. Any cab driver will know where they are.

24. If you like disco/rock/raggae Las Boyas (Calle 3, between Avenida 15 & Ave 20), Neptuno's (Melgar & Calle 11Sur), Shake It (Salas & 10th Ave), Delfines (Salas diagonally across from Deep Blue) & Chicho's (upstairs on Ave 10 between Calles 7 & Calle 9) have some action. It think these address are correct & I assume that they all still open. I know most of them are.

25. For strains of Salsa to the aroma of Cuba cigars, it's the Havana Club (Melgar between Calles 6 & 8).

26. Later evening dancing is way cool at Cafe Salsa (10th Ave between Juarez & 2). Some very skilled moves here.

If you run out of things to do, feel free to e-mail me.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
[snipped]
23. If your group includes adult males looking for some raunchy doings, check out the Caribbean Queen (the raunchiest of the lot) on the Cross Island Road, or in town at Platino's (costly fun) or Negro & Blanco. Any cab driver will know where they are.

24. If you like disco/rock/raggae Las Boyas (Calle 3, between Avenida 15 & Ave 20), Neptuno's (Melgar & Calle 11Sur), Shake It (Salas & 10th Ave), Delfines (Salas diagonally across from Deep Blue) & Chicho's (upstairs on Ave 10 between Calles 7 & Calle 9) have some action. It think these address are correct & I assume that they all still open. I know most of them are.

25. For strains of Salsa to the aroma of Cuba cigars, it's the Havana Club (Melgar between Calles 6 & 8).

26. Later evening dancing is way cool at Cafe Salsa (10th Ave between Juarez & 2). Some very skilled moves here.
Doc, methinks you're a party animal.

Doc:
# 22. I saw the new theater when I was there in January. Do they show certain movie times in English?

Natasha:
I saw the new theater when I was there in January. Do they show certain movie times in English?
All the American movies are in English with Spanish subtitles. Works out fine unless you see a movie with some Japanese parts in it, like The Last Samurai, which of course are only subtitled in Spanish. My friend and I were trying to translate to each other, I from the written Spanish flashing by, he from the spoken Japanese. It was messy, but we got the general idea...

Coppermaus has it right.

Do be aware they also show some Spanish/Mexican films and these are in Spanish with English subtitles.

In closing, here's one of those little insider tidbits that you like from me. You can find out what's playing by going here (Click on Cozumel on the drop down menu)---->

http://www.cinepolis.com.mx/

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Is it me or does it sound strange to go to Cozumel and see a movie? I go and don't even turn on a TV.

Back
Top Bottom