Aeris vs Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to give you some hard numbers on the difference in the algo's... With an Aeris - you can do a 60 for 57 minutes... with Suunto a 60ft your below 50 minutes. A friend of mine is a Dive Master in Cayman - and she uses a Suunto as she likes it for free diving - but she was "bending" the computer on every 2 tank dive - leading folks who were just diving tables! She found out to get the algo's to match up... she'd have to set the Suunto to a 28 mix to equal what every other computer or table uses on air.

I had a dozen folks at Truk (or Chuuk) diving for 7 days on a live aboard - and virtually every dive was 100+, 5 dives a day. I pushed into light deco several times - 10 ft deco for 8 minutes etc... Most of us were on the Aeris (or comprable algo) but one of the divers was on the Suunto algo - and they had to bail half way through the dives at the end of the day.

Not that conservatism is necessarily bad... but US Navy Tables say do a 60 for 60, Padi and Naui tables say a 60 for 55 - it seems a 60 for 57 is pretty realistic... If I want to be more conservative - just don't push it to the deco point...

Statistics show that a bends case show up about 1 in 28,000 dives - and over 80% of the cases - the people were within table limits - but ascended too fast. Most the studies have shown the contributing factors like fatigue, dehydration, ascent rate, alcohol etc are more to blame than any computers algo...

I personally like the fact if I have a problem with it - I ship it back to Oakland California where they're made - and not have to worry about it getting to France or Finland....

I'll stick with the less conservative algo - but then again - I'm a wild kinda guy... I run with scissors, cut off my mattress tags, and don't rewind video tapes... :ssst:

Larry
info@scubatoys.com

Huh, thats funny. Because when something goes wrong with my Suunto, I ship it to Cali also. But, wait a minute, its never gone back to Cali. However, Ive sent more than a few Oceanics back to Cali. Ill go with the more dependable computer (I own a Vyper and a Stinger)...

scubatoys:
Just to give you some hard numbers on the difference in the algo's... With an Aeris - you can do a 60 for 57 minutes... with Suunto a 60ft your below 50 minutes. A friend of mine is a Dive Master in Cayman - and she uses a Suunto as she likes it for free diving - but she was "bending" the computer on every 2 tank dive - leading folks who were just diving tables! She found out to get the algo's to match up... she'd have to set the Suunto to a 28 mix to equal what every other computer or table uses on air.

I had a dozen folks at Truk (or Chuuk) diving for 7 days on a live aboard - and virtually every dive was 100+, 5 dives a day. I pushed into light deco several times - 10 ft deco for 8 minutes etc... Most of us were on the Aeris (or comprable algo) but one of the divers was on the Suunto algo - and they had to bail half way through the dives at the end of the day.

Not that conservatism is necessarily bad... but US Navy Tables say do a 60 for 60, Padi and Naui tables say a 60 for 55 - it seems a 60 for 57 is pretty realistic... If I want to be more conservative - just don't push it to the deco point...

Statistics show that a bends case show up about 1 in 28,000 dives - and over 80% of the cases - the people were within table limits - but ascended too fast. Most the studies have shown the contributing factors like fatigue, dehydration, ascent rate, alcohol etc are more to blame than any computers algo...

I personally like the fact if I have a problem with it - I ship it back to Oakland California where they're made - and not have to worry about it getting to France or Finland....

I'll stick with the less conservative algo - but then again - I'm a wild kinda guy... I run with scissors, cut off my mattress tags, and don't rewind video tapes... :ssst:

Larry
info@scubatoys.com

Just to jump in, I have the Aeris Pro (not considered in this discusson so far) , the Aires Atmos II, and the Viper. I have done dives with all three. The viper in console and the other two on the hose.
In general the Atmos II was the most agressive, the Pro in the middle, and the Viper the MOST conservative.
On many deco dives, I had to blow off the Viper. It had me hanging in the water for half hour to three quarters of an hour more when the other two had both cleared me. (in addition I carried tables run on Dplan)
More recent to memory I was in Florida about a week ago. Did multi level profile although mostly about 75-80 on first dive and 60-70 pm the second dive. Used 36% (aprox) on both dives. At the end of the second dive, the Viper had me set for 8 min of deco, the Atmos II had 45 min of no deco time left.

These are just examples. Most of my friends have abandon the Vipers as just too conservative and merely use them in gage mode.

Speaking of gage mode, the Atmos II can be put in gage mode also. And both go into guage mode if you violate them on the previous dive.

My reason for choosing a suunto was because I perceived (and still do) them to be higher quality than most, Aeris included. I looked at both but just didn't feel confident enough in their reputation. If I had it to do over again, I would definately still buy a suunto. They are worth the money. I would also buy from someone like LP because I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

This discussion about the Aeris not being safe for multi day diving is total BS. There are tons of those computers around in various versions, all with the same calculations, and if there was anything wrong with them a lot of divers would be getting bent, and everyone would know about it by now. Ther have been threads about this in Dr. Deco.

With respect to using an Aeris for "deco diving" (dives with mandatory deco stops because all dives are deco dives), I would not even consider it. While the Aeris and its close relatives give generous no stop limits, once they go over the limit the stop times pile up very rapidly. I believe the last time I looked at their user manual it stated that after a deco stop dive the diver should stay out of the water for 24 hours.

There are a lot of misconceptions about safety in scuba diving. These vary from using safety as an excuse for all sorts of things to people who do not feel safe unless they limit the first 40 foot dive of the day to 40 minutes on EAN 32.

Frankly, you are about 100 times more likely to get hurt at the surface or on the boat than get bent following any computer that is in production today, including their ascent rate limits.

Interesting thread.

I have the Oceanic Versa , XTC100 , Datatrans and most recently the Aeris Atmos elite.

Without doubt the most aggresive of the 4 is the Aeris. This from diving with multiple computers at the same time. (and probably looking a right rpick) Probably due to the units the different computers use to measure depth.

My regular buddy just posted this on another board.

I am using a Suunto Vytec with the latest modified "RGBM" alogrithm. Whilst it gives me the ability to turn off the alogrithm and move back to a more traditional model I have to admit to having a few "issues" with the computer mainly because I, even if wrongly", have a habit of "popping" into deco.

So far I have the following gripes against the computer (and my own dive style if you will):

1: Don't reverse profile on repetetive dives!!! I recently went into deco on a reverse profile 3rd dive and rapidly went to 27 minutes decompression!!!

2) If you change tanks after registering the comp with the sender you cannot re-register with the sender - I had to dive on guages rather than miss a dive.

3) The sender unit failed on me after going to less than 10 bar air pressure - I am interested to hear from other users as this could be construed as "normal" after reading the manual"

4) In deco (repetetive) - it wants you exactly in its ceiling settings with the tolerance - if you are 10 cm out of the tolerence it will not reduce your deco. I recently took 38 minutes to get out of 18 minutes of deco because of this (you may say I should not be that far in deco but you try staying at 4.1 meters reducing by 10 cms a minute in surge)!!

5) Get a drop of water in the sender and say goodbye to good readings (OK this applies to all remote senders!!) I got a reading of 31 bar which then changed to 351 bar - ALWAYS USE A BACK UP GAUGE.

Strangly enough I want to stay using the modified RGBM, mainly because I am getting old and am a bit of a plumper who likes the booze - so I need to be careful but sometimes this computer is a bleeding pain.

Has anyone had the same probs or should I send mine back?

By the way on the dive where he was 27min in. I had 6min in on the Datatrans and nothing on the Aeris.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom