Aeris vs Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gj62

Contributor
Reaction score
I know alot of folks like the Suunto Vyper.

However, I'm looking at the Aeris Atmos 2 - I can get it at DiversDiscount w/warranty for $299. Haven't found an authorized dealer for the Vyper that have it for less than $400.

Anyone think that the Vyper is either (a) worth that much more, or (b) worth the risk of no warranty? LP has Vypers for $325 - which is what I was leaning towards before stumbling across the Aeris...

Thanks in advance...

gj

Considered both of those rigs when I bought mine. Pref's - Downloadable, good back light, large numbers for ease of use, good manual, diver changable batteries, guage mode. Suunto has best manual that I have found hands down. Very easy to use. Good diver management system for PC. Batteries easy to change. In the end I moved toward the Suunto due my perception of a bit better quality, Vyper has more memory for dive history and I had more personal use of Suunto. You really can't go wrong with either one of those really. LP has Vyper for about $320. Their warranty is going to be just as good as Suuntos so I would not really worry much about that......IMO

...that you will be doing.

The Aeris (and all other Pelagic manufactured computers) strictly use tissue based decompression algorithms and are good for recreational diving up to approx. 100'. Occasional deeper dives are no problem, but they should not be used for repetitive deep dives, multi-day dives and deco dives. They are extremely easy to use and have IMO the best interface of all dive computers. Their manual is superb (you can download it from their website).

The Suunto's use an RGBM based algorithm, which makes them suitable for deeper dives, repetitive deep dives, multiday dives, deco dives etc. It also makes them much more conservative than all other computers out there. The user interface and manual are very good.

Vyper has gauge mode also. I would choose the Vyper... (actually, I did).

ScubaRon:
...they (Aeris) should not be used for repetitive deep dives, multi-day dives and deco dives.

What is it that dictates they should not be used for multi-day dives?

I don't plan on any deco dives with this equip, but certainly for dive vacations we'd expect to do 2-3 dives/day for 4 or 5 days...

Thanks for all the feedback!

I believe that SR is talking about residual tissue loading caused by multi exposure that the not so conserivative Atmos allows due to more liberal algorithm.

5615mike:
I believe that SR is talking about residual tissue loading caused by multi exposure that the not so conserivative Atmos allows due to more liberal algorithm.
No, tissue loading is calculated in the (Haldane based) algorithms in the Aeris. What is not taken into account are the microbubbles that are present. These can become an issue when doing (deeper) multiday dives like the ones you described.

RGBM algorithms, like the ones used in Suunto, ScubaPro and some Mares computers, take these into account. The Mares Lab website has a good explanation.

Thanks for all the helpful info - I think I'll go with the Vypers and LP's warranty.

ScubaRon:
No, tissue loading is calculated in the (Haldane based) algorithms in the Aeris. What is not taken into account are the microbubbles that are present. These can become an issue when doing (deeper) multiday dives like the ones you described.

RGBM algorithms, like the ones used in Suunto, ScubaPro and some Mares computers, take these into account. The Mares Lab website has a good explanation.

Thanks for the link. Should be a good read.

I just got the vyper, thanks in part to some advice from this board (and people in this thread!). I didn't get it from Leisure Pro, but I got a good deal at an LDS.

I was comparing it to the Oceanic Versa Pro (similar to the Aeris) and I find the three button interface easier to use to the Versa Pro. Basic functions of the vyper I could figure out before looking at the manual, the versa interface does not seem to be as menu-based so I had to glance at the manual to learn how to use it. I think that both are good choices though, but the advice people are giving you about the algorithm used is quite valuable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom