Aeris a300 AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've searched this forum, looking for evaluations on the Aeris a300 AI, but haven't seen much in the way of specifics. If there is anyone out there with hands on experience, your feedback will be helpful as I try to decide which console DC to purchase. I'm interested in knowing how intuitive/user friendly it is, is the display big enough to be seen by aging eyes, how well do the AI and digital compass features work, is it a high quality instrument/is it worth $800? Thanks.

Ed

I just took an Aeris A300AI to the BVI to evaluate and review. My personal dive computer is an Oceanic air-integrated wrist unit that is a few years old. After 17 dives, all I can say is wow...lots of improvements in usability and I loved the easy menu navigation (one of my pet peeves with most PDC's). I was able to pick it up and use it without going thru the manual - yes it's that easy! It took a little getting used to having a console again, but with the quick disconnect I could take it back to the room to log dives just like my wrist computer, and I love the way that the logged dives are displayed. it even remembers your beginning and ending tank pressure! I too no longer have "young" eyes, and found the display very easy to read even during a night dive. The only thing that bugged me was that the elapsed dive time wasn't displayed on the main dive screen, but it was only a button click away.

The two things I was not able to test was the PC download (although it comes with the cable included), and I didn't have time to experiment with the electronic compass. The compass looks very capable and as some great features, but based on what I saw, it will take some practice to get totally familiar with it's use.

At $800, that's already a special price from Aeris, but I think it's a top notch unit: Aeris - Air Integrated A300 AI Dive Computer | VisibilityUnlimited.com

Now that the evaluation is complete, we'll be selling the the demo unit (with just 17 dives on it) at a very attractive price with free shipping. If you have interest in the details, just send me a PM.

I've got about 35 dives on my Aeris A300 AI. I actually really like having my computer tethered to me rather than on my wrist. As I move into drysuit diving this week, this seems like it will be even more valuable. The conveniences of the A300 are huge as it has the air integration without needing a transmitter. The backlight is also very nice and helps readability at night. During the day I don't have any issues reading the screen.

I'm moderately tech savy, but I had trouble figuring out some of the controls and getting it to display the stats I wanted. Also, some of the functions seem to only work once the computer hits the water, so it's hard to test new settings before you're on a dive.

The digital compass actually works really well. I did my AOW navigation dives using this compass is 20ft vis and was pretty spot on.

My biggest complaint is the computer software. The software is very picky about recognizing the dive computer. To download dives, you must do things in a very specific order for my laptop to even recognize the A300 is connected to the computer. Currently I am able to download dives to my laptop, but unable to upload settings to my A300. I tried to update the Aeris software on my laptop, but that update file was not working correctly.

Overall I've been very happy with my A300 AI, but for over $800, I would expect a more reliable backend experience.

I don't have it, but the form factor reminds me of the Suunto Cobra 3. It looks compact enough to act as a backup in the future should you decide to go with a wrist unit. The $650 is a nice price point.

I'm looking for a miflex quick disconnect hose for the A300 AI. Does anyone know if this exists? If not, can it be rigged up from another type of miflex hose?

Back
Top Bottom