Advise on Weight Trim for a TPII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimisurf

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for advice on weighting me and my TPII. I have the integrated weight pockets on the TPII. I currently weight as such with a 7mm neoprene dry suit and single AL 80.

32 lbs split between the two weight pockets.
2 lbs on each ankle

It's a lot of weight, but it seems to be about the minimum I can get away with in the cold waters around BC (polortech 100 undergarments).

Any advice of alternate weighting practices with the TPII?

Jimi

I recently added the 4# trim weights from Diverite. Attached with quick links to the lower backpack d-rings, AND, routed the lower cam band thru them. I also have 10# in each pocket, for a total of 28. That at least moves some of the weight out of the pockets.

As an alternative to purchasing the special trim weights that RickyD uses, it is possible to thread ordinary weights directly onto the camband. I have yet to dive this way, but will be trying it on my next salt water outing. Up to now, I used a halcyon weight pocket, but would like to move it to my waist band. Another thought would be to switch to a steel tank from Al.

In any event, 34# is getting into anchor territory. I certainly can claim no expertise with drysuits, but I have a hunch (legweights) that you may be overinflating your drysuit. Are you doing any inflation before you get in the water (avoid), and are you letting any air out on entry to the water (try this)?

What I do have experience with is when divers are overweighted it is because they want to be able to sink to the bottom without any effort. Just a few kicks down to start the decent allows many divers to shed several pounds. By the end of the dive they are more relaxed and do not need the extra weight even though they are more bouyant due to air having been consumed.

I'm 165 lbs and 5 foot 9 (and a half if your really counting). I squeeze every bit of air I can out of the dry suit before getting in the water and then I only add air to take the squeeze off at depth. Most of the people I dive with are weighted similarly between 30 - 40 pounds. moving from a neoprene suit to a bag suit was my next move to shed some weight, I have also cosidered purchasing a steel tank or two.

Let me know how adding some weight to the cwaist band goes for you and I'll ceck into what Diveright has for trim.

Thank You,

Jimi

I use weights on the waistband now. The change in that area is that on the belt side I theeaded the weight directly on the waist belt. On the buckle side, I had a weight pocket. It is simply a warm water mini integrated weight system with a maximum capacity of 10# (or 11 with a pair of 2.5kg shot bags).

Considering that you apparently have it together so far as your drysuit inflation is concerned, I would try moving a weight or two on the lower tank band first as this is essentially free. 8# of DR trim weights next.

Steel tank next, because you can kill two birds with one stone here and move up to a 104 or even one of the new e-series 3440 psi tanks. 7" dia tank with 119 cf!

If everyone else needs that much weight, then don't feel bad. Just find a way to carry it with the greatest efficiency and comfort. I would hate to see you ditch a functional neoprene drysuit for a shell, just over weighting, unless you have other issues with the suit. That is a big bucks issue.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to distribute some more weight around next weekend, maybe go a bit lighter on the underwear as well (I never get cold). I have been borrowing the neoprene suit (hense looking for a bag suit). So, I'm in the market for one now. Just trying to gain as much experience as possible with all my gear so that I make the right choices.

Thanks again!!

Jimi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom