Advice to buy a diving computer for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Vyper

040 C54 D9 5741 4 C6 C BC1 B BC0 CA12 AB787

Here is a picture. Seems perfect used but like new. I happy of the purchase
I used to have one of these. One improvement you can make is remove the plastic protector and replace with a piece of Zagg screen protector.

Also be careful not to violate this computer or it locks out for 48 hrs and always keep surface interval over 1 hr.

Thank you for the suggestions. It seems the Zagg screen for Vyper is not sold any more though

Weighing in a bit late here but for any diver on a budget, don't forget the Mares Puck Pro. I've got one of those. It's simple but works very well.

As many others have mentioned, whatever you buy, learn how to use it. I've once again just returned from a trip involving multiple deeper dives and potential deco(Cocos Island) where a good number of those on board had barely a clue as to how their computers worked beyond the basics or the what the implications of putting them into deco were. As far as I know, nobody locked up their computer and had to sit out a day, but it was mostly dumb luck that they didn't.

I built the Serial RS232 version of the Roli PC interface cable some 15 years ago and it worked a treat until my Suunto Mosquito finally expired.

I simply used a serial to USB adaptor with it when my PC's all lost their old RS232 ports.

The OEM cables were over AU$100 back then.

Yeah well. These days you can get a resistor for a penny, plus $8.50 postage and handling, and once you spec out all the parts it turns out you'll pay only measly $40 instead of the exorbitant $50... and have to do all the IY'ing too.

No, I don’t think so. On aliexpress they send you things worth 14 USD cents free of postal expenses. I tried myself to make an experiment, choose the cheapest possible thing and order it yourself. It will take time but it will arrive. So if you order the ‘most expensive’ parts from China and you buy the rest at the store behind the corner the price is much lower. Also 45 EUR for a USB cable is crazy almost insulting. I paid 70 EUR the computer itself

You have the computer, now get the manual and read it thoroughly. That seems to be the main issue with people and new dive computers - they don't understand fully what the computer is telling them with regards to ascent rates and deco (knowing what will be shown on screen if they do stray into deco).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom