Advice to buy a diving computer for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already contacted the owner, I have an agreement to buy for 70 euros

Sounds like it's a done deal. Suggestions of other computers are a waste of print.

spend a lot of time learning how to set it up and interpret its recommendations. Referencing your computer while you dive will give you an excellent education on your body’s ability to absorb and shed nitrogen.

I agree that you should study your computer and know all of it's functions very well BEFORE you go diving with it so that when you are underwater, you don't have to think about which button to push or what the computer is telling you. You will learn more about your body's relationship to the data on the computer over time.

Good luck and happy diving!

Cheers -

Thank you all for the suggestions
I didn’t know Vyper that by color screen you mean multiple colors, so in fact Vyper is monochrome
As for the deal, by now I have an agreement to test the watch but the deal isn’t done yet I am still on time to change my mind
Anyway considering my needs I think it is ok at this price if the quality is sufficient. I could keep it as a backup in case I want to upgrade later

Don’t get one, learn your tables and have a timer and slate to record your dive plan. I don’t really like dive computers, I think they take away some peoples understanding of tables and is a crutch to lean to compensate for their lack of knowledge.

I have a sliderule for sale if you're interested :)

1- Ignore divers who say don't get a computer, it's like saying don't drive a car that has a speedometer or gas gauge. Computers make diving easier, more convenient, more fun and are more accurate than what a diver can do with the old fashioned tables.

2- I use the older Oceanic line, primarily the Veo 200, VersaPro and VTPro (air integrated) computers which are easy to learn and use, very reliable and use the same generous algorithms as their newest models.

Be aware that, other than the Shearwater brand, I think every computer that you could buy used will NOT have a warranty. I.e. I think Suunto (and everyone else except Shearwater) only gives a warranty to the original owner. So, if you buy a used Suunto and it breaks on your first dive, you are just out the money.

When you don't know enough about them to know how to thoroughly check it our yourself, you might be better off to buy something brand new.

Also, it can't hurt to read this:

So you want to buy a new computer?

I read a part of the thread on how to buy a dive computer, though not all
As far as I know, there are not so many things you can check out of water.
You can check if it reports sea level instead of counting like if you are already diving.
Then if it appears new, if any part is damaged (including under the battery), if it includes box and all the accessories.
In Europe mostly the warranty follows the product if it is complete, with box accessories and especially receipt. I think it’s a law in Italy so I would believe that the manufacturer can’t decide to change this rule, anyway I don’t know if dive computers have specific rules

Suunto international warranty should cover also second owner. They do seem to require original receipt and possibly registering the computer. I dive Shearwater...

My choice SUUNTO ZOOP NOVO is the best choice for me. big. easy to use and have AIR, NITROX and FREEDIVE mode... also GAUGE MODE

BEGINER choice!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom