Advice to buy a diving computer for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be aware that, other than the Shearwater brand, I think every computer that you could buy used will NOT have a warranty. I.e. I think Suunto (and everyone else except Shearwater) only gives a warranty to the original owner. So, if you buy a used Suunto and it breaks on your first dive, you are just out the money.

When you don't know enough about them to know how to thoroughly check it our yourself, you might be better off to buy something brand new.

Also, it can't hurt to read this:

So you want to buy a new computer?
Suunto willl give a warranty to a used buyer if it is bought from a shop I know

I really should have added the caveat about warranties that what I said only applied to the U.S. and I don't know how the warranties work in other countries.

My apologies. I was on my tablet and being lazy about looking to see where the OP is from.

No problem stuarttv. Anyway I checked the warranty policy on Suunto official website for Italy. The warranty normally lasts 2 years, and it can be extended upon request of 1 year (3 years in total). The seller in my case said the computer was bought 2 years ago. So the warranty should be expired or close to expiration unless it was extended, and in any case it wouldn’t last more than 1 year from now

I really should have added the caveat about warranties that what I said only applied to the U.S. and I don't know how the warranties work in other countries.

"Suunto international limited warranty" is transferrable to new owner, and is international without any limitations to certain countries. Is it true that it is not valid in the US?
It is only 2 years anyway, so it usually doesn't help second owner much.

1- Ignore divers who say don't get a computer, it's like saying don't drive a car that has a speedometer or gas gauge. Computers make diving easier, more convenient, more fun and are more accurate than what a diver can do with the old fashioned tables.

Thank for your advice, next dive I won’t use gauge mode anymore.

It is not like driving a car without speedometer and gas gauge. It is like driving a car without navigation. But sometimes that is better, when you know how to drive and drive with more than one car.

I think it depends on the situation and your own knowledge what is better. Sometimes I use navigation, but that is when I have no idea where I my destination is. :) But most of the time I know where my destination is. Then I don’t need navigation.

I would buy a computer, you can use it as an computer or switch to gauge mode.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll have many fun days with your new dive computer. Have you named it yet?

Haha no actually. I didn't know I have to

I was just joking.

Mine is named Hildegard. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom