Advice to buy a diving computer for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am a beginner, just passed my PADI Open Water
I would like to buy a diving computer
I think I would like to buy used, my first choice would be Aladin, otherwise other brands for example Suunto. I prefer not to spend very big money right now. My idea would be to buy a computer from someone who made very few dives and used like new, but not a very old model or with problems to the battery
Orologio sub suunto vyper - Sports In vendita a Monza e della Brianza
I found this one for example, Suunto Vyper 80 euros (about 99 USD but euro is strong now) used like new (at least this is what they say)

Or this one
Computer sub scubapro aladin - Sports In vendita a Varese

Otherwise I could ask people who try to sell complete equipment if they sell only the computer

It would be nice to have features like a mobile phone app or pc connection to download data of the diving log

For me, visibility and ease of use was important so I spent way more than was necessary if function was all that was required.

Yes, I agree with that
Anyway these models are more or less standard, Aladin, Suunto Vyper, etc. these are the most commonly used. Some people say Aladin is perhaps clearer to read, but Suunto Vyper is also good. There are also other options of course

Consider where you will be doing your diving - underwater visibility. You might want a color screen if you’ll be in low visibility. They really do show up better.

Thank you for your advice
The Suunto Vyper has also color screen

I already contacted the owner, I have an agreement to buy for 70 euros

Can you give me advice on how to check that everything is working correctly?
Thanks

Hello, I am a beginner, just passed my PADI Open Water
I would like to buy a diving computer
I think I would like to buy used, my first choice would be Aladin, otherwise other brands for example Suunto. I prefer not to spend very big money right now. My idea would be to buy a computer from someone who made very few dives and used like new, but not a very old model or with problems to the battery
Orologio sub suunto vyper - Sports In vendita a Monza e della Brianza
I found this one for example, Suunto Vyper 80 euros (about 99 USD but euro is strong now) used like new (at least this is what they say)

Or this one
Computer sub scubapro aladin - Sports In vendita a Varese

Otherwise I could ask people who try to sell complete equipment if they sell only the computer
Don’t get one, learn your tables and have a timer and slate to record your dive plan. I don’t really like dive computers, I think they take away some peoples understanding of tables and is a crutch to lean to compensate for their lack of knowledge.

If you do get one, get a cheap one. I got a used Suunto Zoop for 99€ only because it was cheaper than a scuba timer and did everything the timer did and more..

The Suunto Vyper has also color screen

Can you give me advice on how to check that everything is working correctly?

vyper is monochrome. you can either take it diving or pressure pot test it. a watch repair shop can help with that if you don't want to build your own pot.

I seriously urge all new divers to get a computer and spend a lot of time learning how to set it up and interpret its recommendations. Referencing your computer while you dive will give you an excellent education on your body’s ability to absorb and shed nitrogen.

Shearwater perdix can download dives to log app..... can use for recreational, tec, and CCR will carry you from the entry level to the center of the earth........ plus its less money then most of the computers on market..... and is basically the standard of tec computers....... o and the company is awesome to deal with.....Hi M!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom