Advice on wing for twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In truth, this probably boils down to 6 of this, a half dozen of the other. In the big scheme of life, donut vs horseshoe ranks down there with bcd inflator hose...inside or outside of the bungee.

Or differences between the 2 wings initially discussed :wink:

It is nice to slice hairs somedays though...

Or differences between the 2 wings initially discussed :wink:

It is nice to slice hairs somedays though...

I betcha both Tobin and Patrick would disagree.

It's all about perspective! :D

I betcha both Tobin and Patrick would disagree.

It's all about perspective! :D

Yeah funny how everyone's razor is so much sharper and steadier on the Internet... :D

I guess I am a bit old fashioned, but I want the ability to trap gas on either side of the wing. If one side has a puncture, I want to be able to manage the trapped gas to maintain my buoyancy.

Now, I understand that most (if not all) of the manufacturer's have designed the back portion of the donut so that it is possible to trap gas in either side, but no matter what...the pathway exists. Which means the chance of the gas to accidentally travel to the other side and vent through a puncture is still there.

Since I do not have a problem with unwanted gas trapping (which is what the donut solves), what benefit is the donut really bringing to the table?

In truth, this probably boils down to 6 of this, a half dozen of the other. In the big scheme of life, donut vs horseshoe ranks down there with bcd inflator hose...inside or outside of the bungee.

As Homer would say... "mmmmmm. Donuts!". :wink:

-S

If you are going to be diving AL80s with this wing, be mindful of how much lift is at the bottom of the wing. Those 80s are going to be awfully butt light at the end of your dives, and if you dive without a weightbelt, some of these wings are going to make that scenario worse.

Yeah, I'm diving with AL80s and it's an issue I'm concerned about. So what's your suggestion?

Someone just threw me a new name in the hat: Frog Midnight. Evolve lookalike, but was told that it's not an inferior knockoff.

only time i've used double-al80s was with a halcyon evolve 60# and i do *NOT* recommend that...

JeffG:
or you could just realize that I am right and you are wrong. Just makes it that much easier.

compromise.jpg

only time i've used double-al80s was with a halcyon evolve 60# and i do *NOT* recommend that...

I did Fundies in an Evo 60 and AL80's. Definitely not ideal. Far from a crisis.

Of course, YMMV.

:popcorn:

no, not a crisis, but it was just annoying me the whole time...

my 40# evolve and double-x7-100s are nice...

... and don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending it. I was putting together my doubles and was on a budget, the 60 sold for $190 in _great_ shape. I had to do it. :lotsalove:

Eventually it will go on some 85's or 95's, should be about right there :)

... and don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending it. I was putting together my doubles and was on a budget, the 60 sold for $190 in _great_ shape. I had to do it. :lotsalove:

Eventually it will go on some 85's or 95's, should be about right there :)

it'll fit the 95's better. its really the diameter which matters and the 60# fits the 8" tanks better. i can't find anyone (although i'm certain i'll find someone now) who likes the 95s, though, and 104s don't weigh noticeably more than the 95s...

ymmv, but i'd be shopping for 104s...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom