Advice on wing for twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're high! :D They're the only wings I don't sell!

I think we (not you and I but on this board in general) have had this discussion... what... a hundred times? The guy asked two specific questions. I gave him two specific answers.
But you didn't tell him why you think so ... if you're going to make a comparative statement and declare one superior to the other, then I think that stating why is relevent to the discussion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

(had to get used to going slightly head's up to redistribute gas if it was trapped on either side).

Actually, that’s why I like the horseshoe wings over the donut wings. What you see as an issue, I see as a benefit. :wink:

But you didn't tell him why you think so ... if you're going to make a comparative statement and declare one superior to the other, then I think that stating why is relevent to the discussion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Think what ever you want, Bob! :D

If he wants to know more I'll be more than happy to answer... perhaps in a PM.

Think what ever you want, Bob! :D

OK ... what I think is that there's no such thing as "superior" in comparing these two products. It depends on what's important to the individual user.

Every product has advantages and drawbacks compared to it's competitors. What you consider superior is based on the advantages you feel are important and the drawbacks you feel are not. Others may have different priorities.

Advantages and drawbacks will encompass such things as performance, design, choice of materials, construction, price, and customer service. User priorities will be determined by application, goals, budget, and availability.

The "superior" product is determined by how well the former matches up with the latter ... and it will vary from one diver to another.

That's why it's important to understand your criteria ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK ... what I think is that there's no such thing as "superior" in comparing these two products. It depends on what's important to the individual user.

Every product has advantages and drawbacks compared to it's competitors. What you consider superior is based on the advantages you feel are important and the drawbacks you feel are not. Others may have different priorities.

Advantages and drawbacks will encompass such things as performance, design, choice of materials, construction, price, and customer service. User priorities will be determined by application, goals, budget, and availability.

The "superior" product is determined by how well the former matches up with the latter ... and it will vary from one diver to another.

That's why it's important to understand your criteria ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bravo!

I've been saying this EXACT same thing here on SB for years.

And as a corollary... careful wording of posts with phrases like... "IMHO", "I prefer", and "I'd rate" have a much different meaning than stating an absolute. Let's not forget that we're all entitled to our opinion and it's entirely our choice when we choose to defend or... in some other way... clarify it.

OTOH, there will be times when one product IS categorically superior to another.

Bravo!

And as a corollary... careful wording of posts with phrases like... "IMHO", "I prefer", and "I'd rate" have a much different meaning than stating an absolute. Let's not forget that we're all entitled to our opinion and it's entirely our choice when we choose to defend or... in some other way... clarify it.

OTOH, there will be times when one product IS categorically superior to another.

or you could just realize that I am right and you are wrong. Just makes it that much easier.

:wink:

Bravo!

Of course we are ... but I was trying to prompt you, not correct you. It's always useful to understand why we hold the opinions that we do.

Stephen Ash:
At times ... but it's more the exception than the rule. In this case, these are all excellent products, and it's going to boil down more to personal choice than quality or performance issues.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My personal opinion is that most anything in the 38 to 45 lb category will work fine. AL80s are dreamy to trim out by and large. So I would go with something on the lower end of the price scale within this size range and not agonize over brand or exact design details. Just avoid bungies, avoid extra dump valves, avoid long corrogated hoses, avoid gimicks.

Unless you have some specific need to try and fill (e.g. super heavy fabric for crawling through tight caves) they all hold gas and you'll probably dive all of them the same after some practice anyway.

edit I have a 10yo H explorer 38 for warmwater use with AL80s and it was inexpensive and works fine. I can go either way on the horseshoe vs. donut debate no big deal to me.

Actually, that’s why I like the horseshoe wings over the donut wings. What you see as an issue, I see as a benefit. :wink:
What's the specific reasoning behind that if I might ask?

What's the specific reasoning behind that if I might ask?

I guess I am a bit old fashioned, but I want the ability to trap gas on either side of the wing. If one side has a puncture, I want to be able to manage the trapped gas to maintain my buoyancy.

Now, I understand that most (if not all) of the manufacturer's have designed the back portion of the donut so that it is possible to trap gas in either side, but no matter what...the pathway exists. Which means the chance of the gas to accidentally travel to the other side and vent through a puncture is still there.

Since I do not have a problem with unwanted gas trapping (which is what the donut solves), what benefit is the donut really bringing to the table?

In truth, this probably boils down to 6 of this, a half dozen of the other. In the big scheme of life, donut vs horseshoe ranks down there with bcd inflator hose...inside or outside of the bungee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom