Advice on wing for twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This entire discussion about the buoyancy of tanks strikes me as a little funny.

With as much info readily available on the web regarding tank buoyancy why is anybody surprised if a given tank that is about +4 empty will sink if you attach more than 4 lbs of ballast?

Given that salt water is about 2.5% denser than fresh (1/40 = .025) and that an al 80 is just under 40 lbs, you can expect about a 1 lbs difference from fresh to salt per tank.

Tobin

This entire discussion about the buoyancy of tanks strikes me as a little funny.

Not sure what you mean but most folks just don't think about the manifold and bands... they just double the empty buoyancy of a single and think they are gonna need more weight. They just think... "if a single is 3 then doubles are gonna be 6." :shakehead:

Along the same veins...
Its a common perception that an AL80 stage requires adding 4lbs of lead to your belt too (it doesn't). A) its ditchable buoyancy if your backgas is lost and you need to stay down you don't hold onto empty stages B) its not very buoyant with a big hulk of brass (reg) on the end of it anyway, esp. in freshwater.

Hey, thanks for the info guys! It's a real eye opener for me, I honestly didn't realise that the extra reg, manifold and tank bands would make that much of a difference. As stephen said, I honestly thought that I'd need twice the amount of weight. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom