Advice on Wing/BP brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What circumstances are those? I can't think of any off the top of my mind where recovering the bcd is an actual priority.

Not every BC removal involves an emergency. Diving from a rigid inflatable boat would be one circumstance I can think of off the top of my head where removing the BC prior to re-entering the boat would be necessary.

Hi all,

I am about to buy my first BCD, and would like some recommendations for wings / backplate set ups. I'd like to get the simple (one piece) harness with an aluminium plate and a 12.5 and a 28lbs blatter wing.

In the shop near me, they only carry OMS, Techline and the already assembled wing standard ZEOS28 by XDEEP. As I'd like to try them on first (still waiting for lockdown to be lifted to go to the shop), I think I will have to choose from these three.
Do you have any experience with these?

Also, I am still deciding on the material for the plate. I am drawn to aluminium because I usually dive in the tropics, but maybe a steel plate would be more "versatile"?. For information, I am a small (5"5, 100lbs) female and dive recreationally but also as part of my studies (scientific diving), usually in warm water.

Thank you all in advance :)

Just some thoughts:

I suggest looking at the SubGravity size small stainless steel plate. My wife is 5'2" and a regular size plate was just too long for her but the the SubGravity plate fits her really well and is more comfortable because it routes the harness waist straps in a more correct orientation for her.

I also don't think having a 12.5 and 28lb bladder wings will be all that useful. There is little advantage to having 2 wings other than how much lighter it makes your wallet. I would recommend looking at the dive-rite travel exp wing or the dgx wing...those are 2 that stand out but there are lots of good products on the market. For adaptability and margin of safety it may be sensible to go with a wing in the 18 to 30lbs of lift category.

-Z

Not every BC removal involves an emergency. Diving from a rigid inflatable boat would be one circumstance I can think of off the top of my head where removing the BC prior to re-entering the boat would be necessary.

I've done that many times. Also, sometimes from small boats it's advisable to put your rig in the water and then exit the boat yourself and don in the water.

if you have to deal with import duties/VAT, the tecline setup likely is a wash with DGX and a reasonable budget option.

if the zeos is only a slight bump up though, a lot of people do feel xdeep is worth a slight price premium.

Just some thoughts:

I suggest looking at the SubGravity size small stainless steel plate. My wife is 5'2" and a regular size plate was just too long for her but the the SubGravity plate fits her really well and is more comfortable because it routes the harness waist straps in a more correct orientation for her.

I also don't think having a 12.5 and 28lb bladder wings will be all that useful. There is little advantage to having 2 wings other than how much lighter it makes your wallet. I would recommend looking at the dive-rite travel exp wing or the dgx wing...those are 2 that stand out but there are lots of good products on the market. For adaptability and margin of safety it may be sensible to go with a wing in the 18 to 30lbs of lift category.

-Z
OP is in France so you might have to help her out with that SubGravity stuff. :wink: (As a total aside, the SubGravity folks are funny - in a good way)
I'm guessing the 12.5 and 28 might be kgs, not lbs. That would be 28 and 60 lb class wings (singles/doubles) I've never heard of a 12.5lb class wing????
Her LDS has Tecline and XDeep and both list small plates as an option. Tecline has a small SS & AL H/dogbone plates.

There are plenty of videos in youtube on BP/W initial set up.
Just make sure the shoulder strap is NOT tight as the crotch strap will take care of the looseness. And learn how to don/remove the kit PROPERLY.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations and comments!!

I had a look at the DGX custom bcd, and they can ship it to France for free. But then, I would have to assemble it and fit it myself... but as someone mentioned, that should be easy enough to do with the help of online tutorials?

I also looked at Subgravity, and shipping comes more expensive (around 70 euros). Someone also mentioned Dive Rite, but it seems like we can't get it in France.

@Zef no I meant 12.5kg, equivalent to 28lb (sorry, my bad, I’m used to the metric system). It seems like the smallest lift available...

In my local dive shop, as prices go, the XDeep Zeos is actually the least expensive at 430euros (which I found weird, considering that the wing/BP/harness are already all assembled...); followed by Techline at 470euros and then the OMS is the priciest at 520.

Some of you mentioned that it was fine getting an aluminium plate while some recommended steel. If I were to go for aluminium (and won't need much weight in warm water), would I still be able to use it comfortably in cold water (with the addition of some weight)?

Back
Top Bottom