Advice on oxygen reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking to buy a dedicated oxygen reg and I would need some advice.

I am assuming new regs are not oxygen clean. Is that right? Do you know of any brand selling oxygen clean regs? Or your'd rather buy a standard one and then get it cleaned?

Is it safe to use your oxygen reg with rich mixes (say higher than 60%) and then use it with oxygen again?

thanks for your help

Hog regs come good to go for 100% O2 up to 2400 psi and 80% up to 3000. Hollis has an O2 clean version too.

Hollis sells an O2 reg, clean out of the box.

I've used the same reg on 50%, 80%, and 100% cylinders, but I blend it myself with hyperfiltered OCA into my O2 clean cylinders. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but of course the cylinder has to be O2 clean as well. If you get PP fills from a dive shop, ensure that they use OCA to blend with. Of course they will but it never hurts to ask these questions and these days you never know - you're the one breathing it.

Hollis sells an O2 reg, clean out of the box.

I've used the same reg on 50%, 80%, and 100% cylinders, but I blend it myself with hyperfiltered OCA into my O2 clean cylinders. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but of course the cylinder has to be O2 clean as well. If you get PP fills from a dive shop, ensure that they use OCA to blend with. Of course they will but it never hurts to ask these questions and these days you never know - you're the one breathing it.

I don't own cylinders, because I always travel and they are too heavy and bulky. That is why would only use my O2 reg on very rich mixes (on the assumption that in a reputable dive shop very rich mixes would be in O2 clean cylinders only). I would not trust a diveshop and use my O2 reg on a nitrox30%, cos gas in there might not be as clean as they claim. Hopefully, if they hand you a Nitrox80% tank, that is VERY clean.

Does this make sense?

The Atomic Aquatics M1 is also O2 clean from the factory. They say it is good for 80% O2 but most have agreed that that last 20% is mostly a CYA.

I'm looking to buy a dedicated oxygen reg and I would need some advice.

I am assuming new regs are not oxygen clean. Is that right? Do you know of any brand selling oxygen clean regs? Or your'd rather buy a standard one and then get it cleaned?

Is it safe to use your oxygen reg with rich mixes (say higher than 60%) and then use it with oxygen again?

thanks for your help

Apeks has a regulator certified for 100% O2 compatibility.

XTX40/DS4, DIN - OXYGEN
PN: NA0341F-1

As long you utilize the regulator with oxygen clean air, it doesn't matter what mix you put in it. You could run air through it, so long as it is hyper-filtered.

The risk is having combustibles imbed themselves on the HP seat material, potentially causing a concentrated source for combustion. As long as your air is hyper-filtered, you won't have this problem.

All of my stage regulators are just standard regulators and I had them cleaned for oxygen use. Aqualung, makes an o2 clean reg, I believe it is the calypso but it is only available in yoke and not din. Most new regulators are nitrox ready up to 40% right out of the box. This is usually sufficient for stage bottles over 40% as well. I take the extra step on my regulators but I believe that this is sometimes taken to an extreme. Oxygen itself is not flammable however, it does enhance flammability. Care needs to be taken but what they are mostly talking about is, the combustion triangle which is Oxygen, Heat and spark. The possibility of spontaneous combustion is why you need to keep the tank cool when filling and keep Oxygen tanks away from flames, oil or gasoline. Let's face it however, underwater the chance of spontaneous combustion actually happening is so small that it really is not worth even talking about.

Apeks has a regulator certified for 100% O2 compatibility.

XTX40/DS4, DIN - OXYGEN
PN: NA0341F-1

As long you utilize the regulator with oxygen clean air, it doesn't matter what mix you put in it. You could run air through it, so long as it is hyper-filtered.

The risk is having combustibles imbed themselves on the HP seat material, potentially causing a concentrated source for combustion. As long as your air is hyper-filtered, you won't have this problem.

That doesn't look to have the issue, but watch out with 02 labelled regs from Europe. They have a specific tank valve for 02 use, you don't want to accidentally get one of those if you cant use and fill it.

SP makes the Mk2 in an oxygen clean version.

I have a dedicated 100% reg and others I use for 50%. But that's more habit than necessity. I don't use 60% or 80% and I don't know or dive with anyone who does. Its a well discussed topic here but deco mixes other than 50% and 100% aren't very common. Occasionally you hear about someone using 32% and 80% for deco but its pretty out of style (for various reasons).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom