Advice on attaching thingamabobs to the BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a beautiful answer all typed up, and the Internet ate it. But Devon Diver said most of what I was going to say, anyway.

My only addition would be that you should choose the things to carry by the dive you are going to do. If you are diving in a small quarry where a shout will easily carry to shore and there is no boat traffic, you don't need a whistle or a marker buoy. If you are diving in good visibility and very shallow, you may not need a light. Don't carry what you don't need, because three things are true: Everything you hang from yourself will slow you down. Everything you hang from yourself will eventually get lost, and everything you hang from yourself has the possibility of getting caught in something. That's why pocket storage, or neat stowage along straps, is preferred to things that dangle.

Can't remember last time I thought, "gee, I think I'd like my snorkel."

If there are waves and you need to be on the surface, a snorkel makes breathing hugely easier w/o wasting your air. Absolutely wonderful if for some reason you get in and then have to wait on someone for a while. If there are no waves it stays in the gear bag. If there is no chance of waves it stays at home.

I do recommend carrying all your safety gear every dive until you are intimately familiar with it can can find and use it without thought. Then with experience, you can pick and choose what you take on each dive according to the environment. I can tell you that I dive even now with the items I mentioned on virtually every dive, even the SMB in Bonaire. All together, properly stowed, it takes up very little space and I don't have to guess what I have or might need or forget to reattach for next dive. i know its always there. When you don't have it is when you'll need it!

When I was 17 & 18 and a young private in the Army, I did the same thing and hung a whole LOT of 'stuff' from my equipment harness, e.g. three fighting knives, flashlight, compass, etc. Later on I learned that by keeping it simple and carrying only what I needed (or was required) my load was lighter and I stop losing my 'stuff'. This was a lesson I forgot when I first became certified to dive. Again I hung a whole LOT of 'stuff' from my BCD. After loosing most of it, I now keep thing very simple and to a minimum...just what the dive requires.

Devon diver covered it off pretty well.
What I would add is That if you intend to take something with you have some way to secure it so it can't be lost.The torch has a wrist strap. The camera has a clip as well as the wrist strap.-Ohh and a lead weight inside the case so its neutral at 20 feet
Also don't cheap out on your clips.Those plasic ones for $2.00 each are next to useless.
I clip my console to my bc to keep it tidy

Velcro..... I love velcro.... I make them up on the sewing machine so I can add or subtract what I need... A small 2" x 2" polished titanium mirror, Dive-alert, small sausage marker and cutting tool on every dive... This way you never forget it.... And you'll never need it... Murphy's law....

Oh.... And a BFK on your inside lower leg....:wink:

Jim...

Velcro..... I love velcro.... I make them up on the sewing machine so I can add or subtract what I need... A small 2" x 2" polished titanium mirror, Dive-alert, small sausage marker and cutting tool on every dive... This way you never forget it.... And you'll never need it... Murphy's law....

Oh.... And a BFK on your inside lower leg....:wink:

Jim...

How do you attach the Velcro to the object?

If there are waves and you need to be on the surface, a snorkel makes breathing hugely easier w/o wasting your air. Absolutely wonderful if for some reason you get in and then have to wait on someone for a while. If there are no waves it stays in the gear bag. If there is no chance of waves it stays at home.
I dive from mostly from the shore. When lucky I will dive boats but usually only on vacation in warm weather. If I show up to the beach and there are waves and chop I'm going home. It's not worth the trouble since viz also suffers as waves size increases. I've been out with 4-6 foot waves. I can do it, but don't enjoy it. Besides, both of my usual dive buddies are still trying to learn how to get through the surf zone without getting tumbled. And that's on a good day.

I use doodads and whatchamacallits on all my thingamabobs....works great!
thumbs-up.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom