Advice on attaching thingamabobs to the BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The belle has pretty big pockets on each side. I think I recall there are some rings or something inside the pockets you can attach various items to.

Sometimes less is more. Take only what you need. Your AOW instructor should be able to help you get that stuff set up properly.

I clip things on D-rings on the BCD with a carribeaner. Things I have clipped on: small camera; safety sausage; reel and surface buoy; instructor cue cards; lights; noise maker signaling device.
I do not like a lot of stuff at one time, but the attachment "method is an easy to release clip or carribeaner.
DivemasterDennis

Duct tape works as well. Seriously though if it can go in a pocket and you can access it in the pocket that's where things go. I like pockets on the thighs of my suits. Most BC pockets are very poorly designed for organization and access. If you have d rings then attach a bolt snap to the item with cave line so that in an emergency it could be easily cut off. No metal to metal contact is the general idea in the tech communities and I choose to observe that tried and true method. If you have something on a clip then have something on your BC to help hold it snug. Bungee cord or surgical tubing works. I wouldn't attach anything to an integrated inflator. Damn thing's too big and bulky as it is. Personally I'd get rid of it and get a standard octo and put a nice short inflator on.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm always amused when I see people carrying a whole dive shop worth of stuff on every dive. We went to Rainbow River in January and there was a guy in the group like that. 7' average depth on the "dive" and he's got 2 reels, 3 SOLA 1200 lumen lights, 2,SMB's along with a ton of other stuff in his drysuit.

Prepared is one thing. Looking 'tech' to impress is just silly. If you're at Rainbow River and you get in trouble, just stand up.

Well I don't have much stuff yet. Fins, mask, booties, snorkle, bc and a light. I am still working on the basics and I don't plan on becoming a walking dive shop as the gear is heavy enough as it is, and I can just about manage walking in it after the dive.

+1 for all above.

Light on bolt snap
Knife strapped on leg or attached to BCD
Whistle clipped to BCD
Mirror in pocket
Safety Sausage in pocket or clipped

I view this as a minimum for all dives.

And I recommend taking them on all dives, even quarry, to get accustomed to carrying, their location and use.

I have small light on clip for D-ring.
I don't carry a knife but have a line cutter on a clip as well. I put a storm whistle on the same clip.
SMB marker on a clip attached to BC in back but where I can reach behind me to access.
Signal mirror goes in BC pocket. I used to also place a folding/roll up snorkel in the other pocket but lately have been keeping it in the dive bag. Can't remember last time I thought, "gee, I think I'd like my snorkel."

My daughter has a minimalist travel BC and only has 2 small D-rings. Her SMB goes on one D-ring. Knife is attached to BC straps and whistle is on her power inflator. She also has a small light on a clip for the other D-ring. She is smarter than I am, she won't dive with a snorkel.

I have the following "accessories" attached to my BC:

Battery Canister attached to waist strap on right side
knife in sheath attached attached left of center on waist strap
backup lights on both chest d-rings, and secured to strap with rubber bands
extra double ender on right chest d-ring to hang my primary temporarily during the dive
if I need a reel for the dive, then I hang it off of my rear crotch strap d-ring until I need it

reasons:
battery cansister doesn't fit in a pocket
if I need a knife or a backup light, I probably don't have time to fiddle with a pocket, so their positions give quick access
extra double ender is in a convenient place for quick access, and isn't really in the way
carrying the reel anywhere else (on my setup) would cause it to hang too low and drag

Can't remember last time I thought, "gee, I think I'd like my snorkel."
My last dive trip included a few surface swims with large schools of dolphins. I always have a snorkel on my mask, and it definitely payed off. :)

What I carry depends on where I'm diving. When in a place like Bonaire or Little Cayman, the only thing I carry extra is a small light for looking in holes. (My BC does have a whistle attached to the AIR II hose) No sausage, no cutting tools, etc. Now if I'm off the coast here in NC or some other location where there may be strong currents, I'll carry my Safety Sausage.

For me, I just carry what I think is necessary and leave all the other clutter behind. I don't have a minimum list for any/all dives.

Novice divers tend to have an inclination to 'over-equip'. A 'more is better' philosophy. Cluttering their BCD with 'danglies' adds to task loading and reduces their streamlining.

Whilst some items may be necessary according to your local diving environment, there are also a few things that are pretty much universally a good idea:

Universal:

Cutting Device - Small and accessible beats big and cumbersome. Knives strapped to legs are a 70's cliché IMHO. My primary cutting device is an Eezycut Trilobite. This is very reliable, very functional...small and lightweight. It's also safe to carry and use. I think it's a near-perfect option, unless machismo is high on your list of priorities. I store it on the wrist-strap of my dive computer along my forearm (or on bungees around the forearm). I wreck dive, so I carry a back-up also (not needed for open water diving)...that's a small 3" titanium knife on my waistband. It is accessible by either hand, doesn't rust and retains sharpness.

Audible Signalling Device - I carry a whistle and a DSMB/Reel. The whistle is actually on a paracord bracelet - it works very well. I used to carry one zip-tied to my LPI hose, that was ok.

Visual Signalling Device - I carry a small, but powerful, LED torch for surface signalling, looking into nooks 'n crannies, wreck and night dives. It can live in my pocket (see below) or is clipped to a D-ring and then held streamlined against a strap by using a small loop of rubber (cut from the an bicycle inner tube). It clips via a bolt snap, tied to the torch.

DSMB/Reel - These are a good idea for ocean diving, especially if near busy boating/shipping areas or if high-seas and/or strong current mean you might drift from immediate visual range of the boat or shore. The size of DSMB necessary is dictated by the conditions (wave height/current speed etc). You can connect the reel/spool to the DSMB in advance (useful unless you may have other uses for the spool/reel) - see the video below for an idea. Then just clip it to a convenient D-ring. To avoid 'danglies', use a D-ring towards the rear/lower of your BCD if it has one.

Another great option is to get thigh pockets fitted to your exposure suit (wetsuit or drysuit). Put a D-ring and/or loop of bungee in the pocket for security. Attach a bolt snap to each item stored. Clip that item to the D-ring/bungee using the bolt-snap. It's the most streamlined, secure and stress-free solution - and it allows you to store your equipment with fear of loss and with ease of access.

LM-Bellows-Exposure-Suit-Pocket.jpg

Alternatively, you can wear 'pocket shorts' - these work over the top of an existing wetsuit, or in the tropics can be worn stand-alone:

Xshorts.gif

Here's me carrying DSMB, Reel, Torch, Whistle and knife... no excuses not be streamlined :wink:

IMG_1088 copy [640x480].jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom