Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which parts of Big Island are more affected by vog? [...]

Vog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Concentration and dispersion modeling of the Kilauea plume

Depending on the winds and the SO2 output of the volcano all parts of the Big Island will be affected to some degree.

That said, given the predominate direction of the trade winds and the topology of the Big Island an eddy tends to form off of the west coast, roughly between Kauna Pt and Keahole Pt which tends to trap the vog. As I type this today it's moderately voggy; I cannot make out the horizon on the ocean. (for reference I am about 3 miles south of "town" [Kailua Kona], north of Keauhou)

"Kona winds", which blow out of the south, can send the vog plume towards the other main Hawaiian islands (and clear the air along the Kona Coast in the process).

The folks at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO)) have a daily status update on activity at Kilauea, including an estimate of the SO2 production: HVO Kilauea Status Page .

Last edited:
There is no doubt that vog exists, the question is just what effect it has on people. There are two schools of thought (likely both wrong), one is none, the other is daily pain, suffering and early death. Perhaps we're just lucky, but I really can't say that vog, even on the "worst" days, is an issue for me.

Wow, thanks for those links, definitely more to study. Here I was wanting to live on the Kona coast but it seems it's worse on that side.

Hopefully it won't affect us, but we won't know until we get there.

The problem with the Hilo side is that it is wet and moldy, everything molds, and that I do react to ... rather strongly. I don't even like to stay overnight in an older, well maintained home.

Gee, crime on St. Croix! That's a first...
When I moved to Hawaii, the Navy moved me, so everything was easy. Coming back to the United States, I shipped my car to Seattle and mailed all my stuff via USPS Parcel Post. 39 boxes. It was easier to mail my life rather than have a mover mess with it. 14 scuba tanks was part of the shipment. Moving to Miami from Seattle, I Amtraked all my stuff which was pretty inexpensive.
If you go to the Big Island, you don't really want to live Hilo side, although after St. Croix, Hilo would probably seem like Hong Kong.

We moved much of the same way, ninty-odd plastic bins, addressed and taped up, weighing just shy of 70 lbs. each. Media mail whenever possible, otherwise parcel post. it was a great way to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. As a general rule if we could replace it for up to twice the price of shipping it we got rid of it. Cars we drove to Oakland, CA and put on Matson.

On the vog, the offending volcano is on the east side and the trades, which come from the east to the west, blow it around Mauna Loa, primarily to the south, and as mentioned earlier it tends to eddy on the west side of the island. HOVE to Kealakekua, and to some extent Kailua, tend to be the hotspots. Kona winds, which I believe come primarily from the west, are most common in the late winter and spring, trades tend to be more common in the other parts of the year (last I heard we experience trades roughly 230 days a year). I think the vog the other islands experience in Kona winds is from the plume heading waaaay out to the west in normal trade activity coming back at them. A couple days of Kona winds, or south winds, or north winds, does wonders in most of Kona proper, clearing out the skies. We've had some wonderfully clear days this winter. After multiple days of Kona winds, Hilo can have vog tremedously badly. Except for a period of very heavy vog in the spring of '08 or so, with air quality alerts in HOVE on one day, the only air quality alerts I've heard of on the island have been in the Hilo area when there are west winds.

The vog effects different people different. My wife had a lot of allergy problems in Oregon, I had few. She has had limited issues with the vog, while I notice it more when it's really thick. I was listening to an am radio show a few years back and it talked about a study that the county of Hawaii was doing on school aged kids and the vog that started back about 10 years ago. They were tracking vog and respiratory problems with kids long term. 5-6 years into the study they found that the district with the most respiratory problems in kids they were tracking was Hamakua, which is pretty much the district that by far sees the least vog. Turns out it has the highest population of smoking parents though. The study is ongoing, and I think was following kids that were early primary school ages at the time, and may have different results now that those kids are older. I haven't heard a follow up.

There's no telling if the vog will effect you 'til you get here, many many tourists I talk with don't know the difference between vog and the clouds that build up on the mountains from convection activity on a daily basis. Residents seemed to become more sensitized to it as time passes, but still the vast majority of the residents here are unconcerned. I could see on the other islands if you are used to the lack of vog, voggy days can be depressing.... sort of like how extended periods of rain is to us in Kona and Kohala, and might likely trigger off an allergic response if they haven't experienced it and aren"t acclimated to it.

The problem with the Hilo side is that it is wet and moldy, everything molds, and that I do react to ... rather strongly. I don't even like to stay overnight in an older, well maintained home.
Wow thanks for that head's up. I have major mold allergy problems.

HOVE to Kealakekua (snip) with air quality alerts in HOVE on one day, the only air quality alerts I've heard of on the island have been in the Hilo area when there are west winds.
I googled HOVE and can't figure out what it is...can you help? And thanks for your detailed response. EDIT a re-google showed it to be Hawaii Ocean View Estates.

A friend who lived on Oahu for many years keeps insisting that we should move to Oahu...I can't imagine why, we are seeking the path less travelled...would two avid divers be happy on Oahu? He has a new job opportunity that would mean living on that island and we just aren't sure that's what we want. Looking for input. And SO grateful to all of you for your thoughtful and patient replies.

You need to actually look at the islands and decide for yourself. I could not/would not live on Oahu, except for some communities on the North Shore, and the diving there is, well ... not there. But that's me. I feel similarly about Hilo and Kona. HOVE is not perfect, it has it's problems, but it is getting better and better every day. You need to look around for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom