Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, knowing that there has to be a minimum of 120 days between a pet's blood test and non-quarantined entry into HI...my dogs have appointments for blood draws tomorrow. July would be the earliest we could come.

Follow the pet thing CLOSELY. It's about a 6 month process, at a minimum and you only have a certain amount of time once the final test is done. Three months maybe? I can't remember anymore. If you miss a step you go back to having done nothing as far as the sate is concerned, and the only quarantine facility is on Oahu. Which really sucks if you are not on Oahu.

A couple other things for you. I originally moved to Maui from the Bahamas, and no matter what people tell you, Hawaii has COLD water :) Okay, so its 72-78, but that is nothing like the 85 you are used to.

Matson is the only company that ships cars. You can go thought Horizon, but it'll still be on a Matson boat. And from our experience, Horizon didn't know when the boats left. We shipped one car to Maui and two back from Maui. We were planning on shipping one car back first, then send the next one a couple weeks later when we were actually moving off island. That way we would only be with no car for a week or two once we got to Texas. Turns out that her car sat in the lot in Maui for two weeks (because we were a day late, thank you Horizon) and was on the same boat mine was. Then they got to LA right before Thanksgiving, and sat in southern California for another week. The 5 weeks of car rental we had to do pretty much killed any savings we would have had if we would have just sold them and re-bought.

The vog affected my wife and I pretty badly. We would get it on Maui during a kona wind (regular during the summer), and it would make the air look like we were in LA. The new vent that opened up made it even worse. It would make us lethargic, tired and generally depressed. And I don't mean depressed like "Oh bummer, its crappy outside" but like "I need some medication" depression. It took us a while to figure out the connection between the depression and the vog. I also spoke with a several people that told us about increased cancer rates of people living in the vog path, on the Big Island in particular, but they might have just been paranoid hippie types. We didn't look into it too much.

Regarding spearfishing... if your partner wants to go to Molokai (and probably Lanai to a lesser extent) to spearfish, go with some locals (the native kind, not the haole kind). Or wait until you have been there for a while and are no longer considered a tourist.... say 20 or 30 years.

I know that all sounds negative, but you know all the good stuff already. The diving is great (but completely different for the Caribbean), weather is perfect, yada-yada-&t. I loved living there enough that it is the only place I have ever moved back to.

Follow the pet thing CLOSELY. It's about a 6 month process, at a minimum and you only have a certain amount of time once the final test is done. Three months maybe? I can't remember anymore. If you miss a step you go back to having done nothing as far as the sate is concerned, and the only quarantine facility is on Oahu. Which really sucks if you are not on Oahu.
I have followed it closely, and thankfully, your information is incorrect (you even say you "can't remember anymore").

I concur on the vog thing. Hubby has big time problems with it, me not so much. Which is strange since I'm asthmatic. Anyway - his symptoms are more like hay fever symptoms: sneezing, runny eyes, some times a constricted and this last bout he was home sick for a week, feeling pretty crappy.

Once you have a state ID or drivers license remember to ask for Kama'aina rates at typical tourist places. You can get reduced prices or even get in some places for free....I've gotten discounts for dinner cruises, some stores and restaurants too (in town)

Which parts of Big Island are more affected by vog?

Very cool about the discounts, thanks! Edited to add, I wonder if that works on B.I. as well.

Which parts of Big Island are more affected by vog?

I'd take a guess and say the Hilo side, because we only get it with Kona winds....but I might be wrong, someone from the B.I will be able to answer that better than I can.

Very cool about the discounts, thanks! Edited to add, I wonder if that works on B.I. as well.

I know that they do it in Chicago, that locals get in cheaper. Give it a go

Last edited:
We live down in Ocean View, there is vog, but we do not seem to be affected. A lot of folks here blame anything respiratory on vog, anywhere else they'd say that they had a cold.

Last edited:
A lot of folks here blame anything respiratory on vog, anywhere else they'd say that they had a cold.

Yeah, some might do that too - always need to blame something. On Oahu, when it consistently matches up with Kona winds, you can say it's the vog.

It does make for a beautiful sunset though...lol

Thanks, Thass, I just looked at where you are, pretty far south. How is it along the western coast? We're thinking we're going to end up closer to Kona.

Kona is more "civilized" where we are is more rural. There are the obvious trade offs and compromises. A big one is price, we built a 2,400 sq foot, 3 bedroom, two bath, with 10 foot ceilings and 24 foot "great room" ceilings on two acres for a small fraction of what the land alone would have cost up north.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom