Advice for blue water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arokdad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My fam may take a cruise to Cozumel during spring break. This would be my first blue dive opportunity. Should I be wary of dive trips offered through the cruise line? Anyone have bad experiences?

Sorry this isn't technically a Swamper question. I read your threads every day and havr come to trust your opinions and experience even though I haven't met you guys yet.

I have gone on a couple of dives set up from the cruise lines in Mexico and found them to be nice and organized. You see the same things a private cruise will take you too within limits. If this is your first time down and have limited time and the other members of the family are doing other activities it's worth the time. JMO

Last edited:
Book with the cruise line, you won't save much by booking on your own and the Cruise Ship charters will take care of you. Not to mention, if you book a cruise excursion they won't leave you. You're a relatively new diver, you will get a couple good dives in with easy profiles. Cozumel operators are used to a varying range of diver experience. Some suggestions: check your gear, sometimes the Dive Masters/mates will set up gear for divers. Don't worry too much about the "instabuddy" (don't understand; do a search) these dives are more like a group dive. Relax, go slow, and have fun. Depending on where else you cruise to: Cayman is worth a dive, don't bother in Jamaica.

Blue water advice:
Use extra weight, you'll be floaty in salt water.
Don't touch that pretty yellow branch-shaped coral.
Carry a signal device (just in case)
Keep an eye on your depth and NDL because the great visibility and beauty can cause lack of attention to your gauges and computer!
Have a great time!!! :D

On my second cruise to Cozumel I was certified and I did some research prior to the trip. I read complaints about how the cruise excursion charters (Sand Dollar Sports I believe) get very crowded as they pack in the divers. Most posters recommended Blue XT Sea. Their schedule didn't match with ours so I was unable to use their services. They in turn refered me to a couple others and I chose Eagle Ray Divers. ERD was okay, not crowded, but boat was slow. They would be fine for certified divers, but don't use them for a discover scuba. (Thanks to the owner my wife refuses to ever try diving again, long story).

I loved the diving in Cozumel and can't wait to get back again.

My fam may take a cruise to Cozumel during spring break. This would be my first blue dive opportunity. Should I be wary of dive trips offered through the cruise line? Anyone have bad experiences?

Sorry this isn't technically a Swamper question. I read your threads every day and havr come to trust your opinions and experience even though I haven't met you guys yet.

Get ahold to Aldora, potentionally best dive op. there & will pick you up @ the ship....

BlueXTSea and Chucho Divers both get my vote. I've dived several times in Cozumel while on cruises, including going back the next day on the ferry when the ship traveled on to Playa del Carmen. If you are familiar with Coz, and are comfortable getting around on your own, it would be fine to go out on your own. However, if you are new to Coz, using the ship's op will be a little safer and easier (logistics wise- you won't get lost trying to find the dive op, or get left by the dive boat, and you also won't get left behind by the cruise ship- for sure) My advice is to find out which dive ops your ship uses. Chances are it will be a large, fast boat such as those used by Dive Paradise or Aqua Safari (just to name a random couple.) You will probably be on there with a large group of divers, which will lit into smaller groups for the actual dives. I would not want to dive like this every day during an extended fly-in trip, but it should be a great time for a one day cruise port visit. Especially considering the easy way you will get there to the op and return. However, if you are a seasoned Cozumelite, you would have no problem getting to your favorite op, diving and getting back to the ship on your own before it departs. Have a wonderful time in my fav place in the world... I miss it so much between trips, sure wish I have enough $$ to go there every month or two!! You are going to love it there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom