Advice for Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey All,
I searched all the Belize threads I could find and would still like a little more information.

My wife has wanted to go to Belize for a long time. Now that she is certified (diver that is) we want to make this a dive/adventure vacation. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary so I'm looking for a place to stay that's a little more quiet. I see places on the Cayes but we are considering renting a little 4X4 suv and doing our own tours so staying on the mainland makes more sense. Though my wife thinks she wants to dive the Blue Hole, and I have considered it, I'm not sure it will be on the agenda. She is a fairly new diver and I'm no longer really interested in a deep dive with very little to see.

What's a good place to stay on/near the beach?

What's the deal on shore diving? Do we need a guide? We will have a place to lock up our stuff, but what's the chances of getting broken in to? Suggestions for shops near suggested hotels, we will only need tanks and weights.

Thanks in advance,

Scott T

Belize really is not suited for shore diving.
You need to consider breaking your trip into two components- the diving component and the adventure component.

Do a search here for San Ignacio. It's a small town close to the border that many of the service providers for activities originate out of.
My favorite provider hands down is Luis Godoy at Belize Nature Travel.
I don't know how much you will save by doing it your self. With Luis, I would set up an entire days activities including meals for what I considered a reasonable price.
If you go to Guatemala, the Belize operators are required to hire a guide from that country so there will be some extra costs (At least that was the case during our last visit).

If you go to southern Belize you will have a better chance of doing both from one locale.

I highly recommend!

I think the only shore diving in Belize is on some of the more private Cayes and even then it is pretty limited. Belize is a great place to tour, we rented a car in San Ignacio (after spending 4 or 5 days at a resort in the area) and drove to Placencia and stayed for a week and then to the airport near Belize City to leave. Worth the drive, however no diving except with a long boat ride out of Placencia or Belize City.

If what you want to do is dive, then a liveaboard is the best way to do it out of Belize IMHO. Others have raved about the diving from some of the private resort islands, but I have not tried it. Have dived from Ambergrise and it does not really compare with a liveaboard.

Thank you both for replying. I'm definitely reconsidering the self-guided tours for the reasons you mention. Having never been there, I think I'll rely on the locals to show us around. Also, I have heard that one of the tour operators offers pickup service at the airport. I think we have settled on Placencia at the southern tip. The diving may be a bit farther away but I hear good things about the local shops and how they make a day of it (two dives, stop at an island for BBQ/snorkeling). I think for what we want to do this trip it will work best.

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott T, everyone got here before me but have pretty much covered it. Splash Divers will serve you well.

Congrats on your 25th. My wish for you is that you and your bride also find a love for Belize.

Hey All,
I searched all the Belize threads I could find and would still like a little more information.

My wife has wanted to go to Belize for a long time. Now that she is certified (diver that is) we want to make this a dive/adventure vacation. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary so I'm looking for a place to stay that's a little more quiet. I see places on the Cayes but we are considering renting a little 4X4 suv and doing our own tours so staying on the mainland makes more sense. Though my wife thinks she wants to dive the Blue Hole, and I have considered it, I'm not sure it will be on the agenda. She is a fairly new diver and I'm no longer really interested in a deep dive with very little to see.

What's a good place to stay on/near the beach?

What's the deal on shore diving? Do we need a guide? We will have a place to lock up our stuff, but what's the chances of getting broken in to? Suggestions for shops near suggested hotels, we will only need tanks and weights.

Thanks in advance,

Scott T

In your research you will have come across my posts suggesting ReefCI. Worth looking over their FaceBook pages as well.

Enjoy Belize. I would go back, but I'm still exploring Thailand.

Thanks again for the info everyone. Yobubba, if the regular group tags along who knows where we will roam. If I get up north I just may give you a buzz..

The center of diving in Belize is Ambergris Caye, you can get out to the reef with a kayak and use the tie offs. Placancia is just plain nuts as it is 20 miles from the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom