Adventures in finding a mask that doesn't leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hah, Sam! Glad someone is entertained by this saga!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'
Marie 13
I always look forward to your posts -- in all sincerity very entertaining and a good way to begin the day in California -- where it all began.

I suspect that by now you have as many masks as my dear wife Betty has Shoes -- and she is going for a new world record !

I have 165 stiches in my left facial area. Charlie's custom (Homemade ) mask was perfect for me which I used for over 10 years, I migrated to a Bud Browne "Swimaster wide view" which had a neoprene (wet suit material) skirt for the remainder of my active diving career. Both were fantastic masks.

Some day, some how, some where is the perfect mask for you !

Keep on Look'en

SDM

Marie 13, could it be that the low volume masks just don't have the room to be flexible? Maybe that is why some people are happiest with very old masks, like mine. NOT that I am suggesting "Shop Vintage", but maybe try some not-so-low-volume, in case the larger silicone skirt can be helpful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'
Marie 13
I always look forward to your posts -- in all sincerity very entertaining and a good way to begin the day in California -- where it all began.

I suspect that by now you have as many masks as my dear wife Betty has Shoes -- and she is going for a new world record !

I have 165 stiches in my left facial area. Charlie's custom (Homemade ) mask was perfect for me which I used for over 10 years, I migrated to a Bud Browne "Swimaster wide view" which had a neoprene (wet suit material) skirt for the remainder of my active diving career. Both were fantastic masks.

Some day, some how, some where is the perfect mask for you !

Keep on Look'en

SDM

Actually, not that many masks at all. I have two HOG masks for backups that didn't leak, much. Current Cressi and a spare of that one. One bought this weekend that is going back.

I have as many masks as I have pairs of shoes (I'm something of a minimalist).

Marie 13, could it be that the low volume masks just don't have the room to be flexible? Maybe that is why some people are happiest with very old masks, like mine. NOT that I am suggesting "Shop Vintage", but maybe try some not-so-low-volume, in case the larger silicone skirt can be helpful.

The Cressi *is* a not-so-low volume (see link above)

[QUOTE="Marie13, post: 7923126, member: 478333"
]Actually, not that many masks at all. I have two HOG masks for backups that didn't leak, much. Current Cressi and a spare of that one. One bought this weekend that is going back.

I have as many masks as I have pairs of shoes (I'm something of a minimalist
.[/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recall you live in Chicago.....How many
Boot pacs ?
Snow shoes ?
Rubber boots ?

how many dogs in your dog sled ?

Inquiring California minds want to know !

sdm

Actually, not that many masks at all. I have two HOG masks for backups that didn't leak, much. Current Cressi and a spare of that one. One bought this weekend that is going back.

I have as many masks as I have pairs of shoes (I'm something of a minimalist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recall you live in Chicago.....How many
Boot pacs ?
Snow shoes ?
Rubber boots ?

how many dogs in your dog sled ?

Inquiring California minds want to know !

sdm

I don't live in Sh*tcago. I'm in the burbs. Fence the city off and nuke it from orbit. Are you out of your ever lovin' mind?...wait, you do live in the land of fruits and nuts! :p

I forgot about a couple of pairs...but still less than 10. No snow at all for January and February this year. Makes me very sad. :*(

On my first trip after I bought the rest of my gear online(no LDS) I went into largest dive store I could find and tried ever mask they had not even looking at price incase that clouded my judgement. Had a choice of two with the best seal and choosing the one I like better out of the two. I ended up with a Hollis M3 only time I had issues was first time I used a hood and I didn't have it on right. So visit a dive store with a big range and try all the masks.

She has. Her local shop is Dive Right in Scuba. Her problem is that she smiles and laughs and giggles too much underwater. :rofl3:.

Reminds me of this (skip to 8 mins):

Unfortunately the program also shows a sad reminder of the state of some of our shark populations :( Shark fin soup :banghead:
Sorry, off topic...

Last edited:
I have a Sherwood Oracle mask and at times I had no problems with it while at other tines it would leak like a seive. And most of the water was leaking at the bottom of the mask. The strange thing was it would leak while I was NOT wearing my hood.

I finally realized why. When not wearing a hood I would wear the strap above my ears because it was more comfortable. But while wearing a hood I could wear the strap across the tops of my ears because the hood alleviated the pressure.

Since I figured that out, I always make sure to have my mask strap across the top of my ears and I rarely get any leakage.

So maybe play with your strap placement and see if that helps any. If you are wearing it high on the back of your head it could be pulling the top of the mask more than the bottom therefore breaking the seal at the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom