Adventures in finding a mask that doesn't leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote on hollis m1
Hollis m1 and seavision are the only masks that dont leak for me, i have about dozen masks total

image.jpg
Would you be able to post a side view of your mask on your face to give people an idea? It might help to see what your dealing with.
My mask sucks onto my face like "Alien", even switching reg to snorkel, but it is 30 yr old Vista-Vu prescription mask.
Photo above.

I have spent a lot on masks. I finally went with the ScubaPro Gorilla or Goliath. I can't remember.

This is coming from someone who got so fed up they bought a full face mask. Try it.

I would have to think the in future 3D printing will allow us to have custom fitted mask skirts built to conform to an individual's face. Obviously this future tech does nothing for you now. Keep trying until you get one with works. Good luck

I haven't shaved for a couple of weeks. Whenever I get the urge to grow a scraggly beard I have to change masks to one with a purge valve. Any water that enters the mask is quickly emptied with each exhale through my nose.

So based on your reply, it's happening with many different masks and always from the bottom. Do you have a few masks at home to experiment with? Try that dry land vacuum face test again but with the regulator in your mouth to see if you still get that vacuum seal moving your face everywhere while a reg is in your mouth. I suspect it has to do with the contours of your face while a reg is in there.

I haven't shaved for a couple of weeks. Whenever I get the urge to grow a scraggly beard I have to change masks to one with a purge valve. Any water that enters the mask is quickly emptied with each exhale through my nose.

Thankfully, I'm not of southern European descent, so that's not something I have to worry about. On the other hand, a few women I know...:rofl3::D

I feel your pain. I bet I tried on at least 60 masks. Didn't care if I liked them, I just wanted one that held the water off my eyes for more than 5 minutes. I Own at least a dozen And finally found the old school rescue mask fits the best. Between deep eye sockets, a cro-magnon man forehead, and wrinkles around the eyes, I have made dive shop owners mad from the frustration of not being able to find one that fits. If they fit my face, low volume masks press in on the bridge of my nose and hurt like heck at depth, even pressurizing through my nose.

The mask is out there, unfortunately, its trial and error. Even if it fits great in the store, the water may be a completely different issue. Take a snorkel, or extra regulator mouth piece and put it in your mouth so the fit is with a mouthpiece in. That can change things too.

Strap position is important as well. Up, down, straight.....just to make it harder.

I usually get the comment when people see my mask, "I had one like that.......in 1980....".

Aqua Lung Wraparound Three Window Mask, Black

Good luck,
Jay

I just sent a message to Mako, I'm going to give them a try as well.

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom