Adventures in finding a mask that doesn't leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a difference between a leaking mask and one that floods
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The continuing saga of One Woman's Search for the PERFECT DIVE MASK

"Like the sands of time though an hour glass
the days of our DIVES..."

Good luck Marie with your search for the perfect mask--I enjoy your posts and your continuing search- but some day you will find the mask and it will be all over....Oh the horror of it all !

I will be lecturing this week end at the SLO UW S&R DivCon on the "Pioneer big five Diving Manufactures" It is a blessing to me that you are 2000 miles distant --There just would not be enough time for all your questions.

It is Summer again -- 70s and lots and lots of sunshine and Reyn Spooners ( google the words)

Good luck and enjoy the Show

SDM

Has anyone here tried the Mako Minimus mask? Looks interesting, just can't justify the shipping charge. I too have a bin full of masks that fit well in the store and ended up leaking while actually diving. I do notice that if I gain or loose just a few pounds my face changes enough that a mask that did not leak will start to leak and drive me nuts.

Like I said upthread, I'm one of the people whom mako mini does not fit. That's with the reg/snorkel: it was all good in the pool without either. With glass that close to your eyes the FOV is excellent, but any leak is basically water in your eyes and spit off the glass so you get the fogging and the itching. :(

I just ordered the Minimus, El Bajo, and Catalina. Unfortunately for me, they did not fit. I have a unique ridge in my brow that most all low volume masks will hit. At depth, it can become brutal, even after trying to equalize the mask.

The Minimus and Catalina had deeper side skirts than most and actually sealed around my eyes well. I can see where these masks will fit most. Many masks I have tried were not deep enough to seal the lines at the sides of my eyes. The El Bajo seemed shallower there.

All of the masks are high quality, along the lines of the $110 Scubapro I had to buy as an emergency replacement. It didn't fit either...but was painfully usable. The field of view is excellent, better than I expected, and they all look like they would provide years of trouble free service.

I ordered them on Monday night, they were here Thursday afternoon. Now for the best part.... I emailed them Thursday night to see about a return and Friday morning, I had a response telling me to email different address and they would get me a prepaid return label.

Great masks and a great company. Outstanding communication, fast shipping, great prices, and a no bs guarantee. I was hoping the Bajo would fit so I could yell, "I'm BATMAN" before every backroll in..... I still can I guess. People will just think I'm weird.....er.

A mask not fitting is absolutely nothing new to me. The ONLY one I have found that doesn't hit my forehead is the 1980 style rescue mask in my picture. The Minimus and Catalina sealed fine, which is more than most masks do, they just would clear my CroMagnon Man brow.

I can recommend the company without hesitation. If they don't fit, no loss to you other than shipping. I ordered all 3 for free shipping as well.

Good luck,
Jay

Jatfarmlaw, My family also sports a "Noble Brow" as I like to think of it. I shall look into your suggestions for my son. Thanks!

Like I said upthread, I'm one of the people whom mako mini does not fit. That's with the reg/snorkel: it was all good in the pool without either. With glass that close to your eyes the FOV is excellent, but any leak is basically water in your eyes and spit off the glass so you get the fogging and the itching. :(
Am curious as to why snorkel & reg in changes things.

Am curious as to why snorkel & reg in changes things.

The mouthpiece changes the shape of your face and that can cause a mask to leak.

The mouthpiece changes the shape of your face and that can cause a mask to leak.
OK thanks. I never noticed that with any of my masks and snorkeling, but I'm sure you're correct. Every face is different.

OK thanks. I never noticed that with any of my masks and snorkeling, but I'm sure you're correct. Every face is different.

Masks are different too: my cressi panoramic doesn't leak with or without the mouthpiece... my guess would be that on a mini mask the seal area is not as wide. It certainly didn't feel less soft than the cressi, but maybe there's that too.

I must have a universal face as almost all masks fit me well. My daughter and wife are Chinese, thus broad faces and nice kissable cheeks. They have gone through many masks trying to solve the same problem and we now have quite a collection. Amazon and some shops will allow returns if you don't remove the labels, so last year I ordered a selection of masks for them to try in the pool and we kept the best 2 and sent the others back, they do still leak some though. I'll be trying the silicone on the girl's masks this spring and summer to see if it helps. Good luck in your search.

Back
Top Bottom