Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seibert.kyle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be getting my AOW in August. I just bought the PADI book, adventures in scuba diving(or something like that). My LDS also told me that I am going to need to own other eqipment for this cert (whistle, slate, light, knife, safety sausage, ect.) Is this true, or were they trying to get more money?

Really they were honest IMO. You will need the slate to write down things like you kick cycle during AOW class. You should have already had a knife to be honest, especially if you dove in the ocean. A whistle or sausage should have been purchased already too, but I dont own the sausage either. Not sure how that will be used in the Padi class but if they are asking for it they will probably use it.

As you become more advanced wouldn't you want these items just in case of an emergency? I know that when I took the PADI AOW course I had to have those items except the safety sausage. I used the slate for the navigation dive, the knife already had attached to BCD I did use when I got caught in fishing line, the light I used for my night dive, my whistle was already attached to my BCD (never have used it yet, thank goodness). I don't think they required anything else.

It depends on the specific choices of adventure dives chosen. Most likely, yes, you need the equipment. Pretty much, all divers should have the equipment you've stated. A whistle and safety sausage (in addition to a mirror) are needed anytime IMO you are in large open water environments. The knife (or shears) if you were to become entangled. The slate, is a means of communication as well as noting important information about your dive. A light is another method of signal, plus looking in holes is better with the light. I would say if they said you need comm gear and a can light they would be taking advantage of you. Not in this case, IMO.

whistle, slate, light, knife, safety sausage

I think it is a good idea, since as an "advanced" diver, you should be prepared to plan your dive, and handle difficult situations. If you are planning a dive, you should also plan for it to go wrong, thus the sausage and whistle. I consider them mandatory for boat dives, or current dives. The light, is also a safety feature for day dives, even if it is a small back up, and that you'll rent a primary for the night dive. The slate might be used on your navigation dive or the deep dive for you to do some mental skills. The knife, emt shear, or a line cutter is mandatory I think for all dives. You can not always count on your instructor to be there to help you untangle from a line.

I will be getting my AOW in August. I just bought the PADI book, adventures in scuba diving(or something like that). My LDS also told me that I am going to need to own other eqipment for this cert (whistle, slate, light, knife, safety sausage, ect.) Is this true, or were they trying to get more money?

It is possible that some of those items are required to get on the boat. Alot of dive boats here in NJ require a redundant air source (sometimes waived for students with an instructor, but not always), smb, spool or reel, and audible signaling device.

The light will show you color change, and will probably come in handy poking around in holes and such, but for the class your instructor can bring a light to show you how color changes with depth. edit- Duh, you need lights for your night dive...

A slate can be nice to have, and if you are doing a wreck dive, one will come in handy for mapping and writing down details you might forget. Not sure it should be madatory.

A cutting device is mandatory equipment for any ocean wreck dive. Wrecks attract fish, and in turn attract fisherman, whose lines and nets can get snagged and trap divers. You don't need an 80$ titanium Crocodile Dundee knife though, get a cheap one, this way if you lose it, it's no big deal.

Not sure how many knifes I have lost or found for that matter out there. And yes that is mostly allstuff you should already have.

Those are good items a diver should have available to him depending on the dive and his needs....go for them!

Actually if you are taking the course in Long Island I am surprised thats all you need. You say the class is through PADI and I am not sure how it compares to NAUIs AOW, but as an instructor for NAUI in New Jersey our shop requires a primary light, back up light, tank light, wreck reel, Jersey reel and a lift bag. I'm sure your shop is not trying to rip you off just outfit you like an advanced diver should be. Good luck with your class BTW and have fun.

When I did my AOW I didn't have any of that stuff, and wasn't required to for the class. I have since gotten most of it anyway (no light yet, and no night dive yet). It's not all that expensive so you as may as well get it, but I think it's a little shady that he says you "have to have it". I'm almost 100% that PADI doesn't require it, so you don't "have to" have it. But whatever, you'll probably end up buying it anyway.

FYI-I did most of my early dives and my OW/AOW in a quarry because there isn't much ocean diving around here. When I upgraded to the ocean I got the safety stuff because I wanted it, not because someone told me I had to have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom