Advanced Open Water Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this logic I can have a driver's license if I don't access to a car to train in and take the driving test in.
You clearly are arguing for government regulation of scuba diving. Do you really want that?

The certifying body needs to make sure the standards are met in a proactive way. Not sit around and wait for folks such as you, OP, myself and others with bad experiences to register complaints. There is no point to it if there is no quality follow up. Without making sure the standards are followed all they are is an author of training materials and a marketing agency.
I would argue that the last sentence in the below memo like this would get an agency to do some checks prior to the first part of it. But I don't think any of that is in any agency's budget.
1692723267005.jpeg
1692723267005.jpeg

You clearly are arguing for government regulation of scuba diving. Do you really want that?
So who thinks self regulation works?

What we need to do is look to the models that are working for inspiration. We need to look to all the businesses that have nothing but honest, hard-working employees who never bend the rules. We need to find the areas of business in which none of the local business owners cut corners to make money. Let's start right now by listing those businesses so we can see how they work and apply those lessons to the scuba industry. Let's dedicate the next few pages of this thread to identifying the role models.

What we need to do is look to the models that are working for inspiration. We need to look to all the businesses that have nothing but honest, hard-working employees who never bend the rules. We need to find the areas of business in which none of the local business owners cur corners to make money. Let's start right now by listing those businesses so we can see how they work and apply those lessons to the scuba industry. Let's dedicate the next few pages of this thread to identifying the role models.
Argumentum ad absurdum once again.

But as there is no such business as people are often greedy and just shιtty human beings, the only option is government regulation. I know people hate it (I find it ludicrous at times), but what alternative is there?

Where has self regulation ever worked?

What we need to do is look to the models that are working for inspiration. We need to look to all the businesses that have nothing but honest, hard-working employees who never bend the rules. We need to find the areas of business in which none of the local business owners cur corners to make money. Let's start right now by listing those businesses so we can see how they work and apply those lessons to the scuba industry. Let's dedicate the next few pages of this thread to identifying the role models.
I say do away with all the BS certifications and just let it run it's course like the rock climbing and whitewater industry. If you wanna be good and safe at it, search out the best mentors and practice. Of course the big money won't be there. We may have less plastic junk gadgets and other equipment. We may even have less divers damaging the environments we enjoy. These certifications are a false sense of security.

There was no elective for me

Argumentum ad absurdum once again.

But as there is no such business as people are often greedy and just shιtty human beings, the only option is government regulation. I know people hate it (I find it ludicrous at times), but what alternative is there?

Where has self regulation ever worked?
I never argued for government regulation--don't put words in my mouth, I had a career as an education reformer. Teaching is highly government regulated, with millions of dollars spent in regulation to ensure we have the best teachers in our schools. Look how well that's working.

Your problem, as before, is your absolutist thinking. Look at your question: "Where has self regulation ever worked?" The problem is that your definition of "worked" is perfection. If there is a flaw to be found anywhere, it means the system doesn't work.

After a career as an education reformer, I became a scuba instructor, and once in those ranks, I became a scuba instruction reformer. I am proud to say I have had more than a little success reforming that industry. I am frustrated that more has not happened, but I am also gratified that as much positive change has occurred as I have seen, From my perspective in both fields, I believe scuba's self-regulation has done a much better job of "working" than public education's government regulation.

So I have spent a lot of time in the scuba community advocating change, and I have accomplished more than a little. I think it does a better job than your approach, which consists of screaming "You guys all suck!" continually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom