Additional Gear Needed or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually they aren't "legitimate reasons", they're personal preferences.

flots.

I have no issues whatsoever with octo inflators provided the diver understands them and get's familiar with them. When I sued one, I put longer corrugated and LP hoses on my rig so it was quite easy to use. To keep the set up from dangling the reg/inflator stored loosely behind my console (see above).

I personally use a necklaced alternate, but for blue water recreational diving, the octo inflators are fine IMO.

They are quite common here and I personally know of a number of OOG rescues that were effected with them without issue.

I have installed an Atomic SS1 on my daughters rig. She breaths off it regularly and we practice with it. I also have her primary 2nd on 40" hose under her right arm with a 90 degree at the 2nd.

I have seen too many traditional octos "get lost" and prefer she know where it is at all times. And she does, as she handles it often during the dive.

I have a Sherwood Gemini on a longer 24 inch corrugated hose with Milflex LP hose on my warm water travel BP/W.....it works great and is very streamlined.....

The Gemini breathes very well at 100 plus feet, I use it for a bit on each and every dive....

I would have zero problem doing an entire dive on just the Gemini....

The skill you need to practice is controlling your buoyancy as you ascend while breathing on your Octo/Inflator.....

I keep myself horizontal on ascent so I use the butt dump to burp air from the wing....

M

I have seen too many traditional octos "get lost" and prefer she know where it is at all times. And she does, as she handles it often during the dive.

That's actually the biggest reason. In the real world, once a diver leaves OW class, the chances of practicing skills is close to zero.

A spare second stage that breathes like it was kissed by God but that the diver can't find, is much less useful than one that breathes like crap, but is always at (in) hand.

flots.

FYI, for any gear geeks who have GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) I ordered the following main items:

Black Diamond BC
Airsource 3 (it was free with all the Aqua Lung products I purchased
XTX 200 Regulator
Vyper Air computer (I was never sure of what computer to buy)

Back
Top Bottom