Adding Music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, now that it's taken me some months to learn how to capture and edit video I've got a couple 30 minute dvd's together---finally. I've evened learned quite a bit about transitions and titling. It lacks some sound though.

It's time for some music, so who can offer me some advice as to what kind. I've listened to quite a few sounds tracks the last few days and am not finding what I think would be appropriate. So where do some of you get your music. Generalizations are fine, but anything specific would be welcome.

I do have some underwater videos and could probably extract some of the audio, but I'd like mine to be originals, so to speak.

Barry

If you want to be sure you are 'legal' in terms of copyright, take a look at opuzz.com. It's royalty free music. Basically, you pay a small fee upfront to download a track and it's yours to do with almost whatever you'd like. You have to listen to a lot of samples though. The music isn't what I'd call "top shelf", but the price is right.
If you have a little more to spend, look at smartsound.com. Still not A list stuff, but better than opuzz. You do pay for it though.

Have fun,

Digital Juice and Sonic Fire!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Bill, I'm strictly legal and am not looking for freebies or cheating someone out of their money. I just needed some ideas from other people as to where they get their music and what kind to look for.

I've listened to a bunch of movie tracks the last few days that I got from the local library. Tons and tons on itunes the last few days. In every genre they show and typing in search function.

It sounds like you guys do it pretty much as I have been doing. Man, is this video stuff getting labor intensive!!! Oh well, it's a labor of love---almost. It's the learning process that's fun.

I'll check out the websites you guys have been so kind as to mention.

Barry

Another way, albeit time-consuming method is to create your own soundtracks.

Macs come bundled with a program called "Garage Band" which allows you to create your own music using a variety of instruments and pre-designed tracks. I've used it in the past to create distinct tracks which fit the flow of the video.

There are also similar programs available for PC's. If anything, editing is a HUGELY time-consuming, but ultimately satisfying endeavour.

Cheers,

X

bfisher - hope you didn't think I was assuming you'd be a cheat! Not my intention at all. I do this for a living, and so we always play by the book. But I know a lot of people out there have no problem just grabbing someone else's work and using it.

Yes, video production & editing can be enormously time consuming. So make sure you're having fun while you're doing it!

Ok I have never been clear on this. But if you are just making videos to share, not for sale or promotion of your business can't you use any music? Of course as long as it was bought via store, Itunes, etc.

Ok I have never been clear on this. But if you are just making videos to share, not for sale or promotion of your business can't you use any music? Of course as long as it was bought via store, Itunes, etc.

Use, yes. Follow the copyright law, no. It does go on all the time for peoples' personal sports videos, wedding videos, vacation videos, and so on. If you share your videos with your friends and family, probably no one will turn you in. Posting things on line though, that is getting to be another matter. Youtube's policy is that if someone complains about copyright infringement, Youtube takes the video down. This protects them from being a party to copyright infringement. However, the artist or music company could still come after you.

It is rare, but once in a while you read about a music company going after someone for big bucks. Stranger still, it seems like they win, too. Here's Joe Student making videos for his hobby and the next thing you know, he's getting socked for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Safest thing to do, use the above advise: buy royalty free music, make your own, or hire someone else to score your videos for you.

If you share your videos with your friends and family, probably no one will turn you in..

My friends and family would turn me in in a heartbeat :wink: FWIW I think youtube and some of those other sites have some blanket licenses in place so people can steal...I mean use... music they would otherwise not be allowed to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom