ACI.EXE for Atmos 2 offends anti-virus software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowDidIGetIntoThis?

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've started using F-Secure for anti-virus software. The first time I plugged in the dive computer the following message came up: "System Control has noticed that ACI.exe attempted to modify the system. It has identified ACI.exe as probably a malicious application. The attempt was blocked."
... "Operation: Attempt to add a value into a protected registry key."
etc.

As the path does come from the Aeris subdirectory and I've found one other reference on this site to ACI I presume that it is probably ok to proceed. Before I risk toasting the computer I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has run into this situation.

Thanks
HDIGIT

I've started using F-Secure for anti-virus software. The first time I plugged in the dive computer the following message came up: "System Control has noticed that ACI.exe attempted to modify the system. It has identified ACI.exe as probably a malicious application. The attempt was blocked."
... "Operation: Attempt to add a value into a protected registry key."
etc.

As the path does come from the Aeris subdirectory and I've found one other reference on this site to ACI I presume that it is probably OK to proceed. Before I risk toasting the computer I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has run into this situation.

Thanks
HDIGIT

I run ACI under Windows Vista with Norton Internet Security which includes Norton AntiVirus and I don't get any such warnings.

Which version of the ACI program are you using?

The latest publicly available version is 2.20 with a build date May 7, 2008.
Version 2.20 was posted to the Aeris site on 06/16/2008.

If you don't have the current version I would suggest downloading it from

DiveAeris.com - Scuba Diving Services - Software

Thanks Ronbeau. I did take your advice and upgrade the software - I was 5 yrs out of date - the problem still seems to be with F-Secure a.k.a. Shaw Secure and I finally elected to just chance it and override the virus warnings. The new aeris program and driver installed ok but it took a while to convince the p.c. to talk to the d.c. It persisted in claiming to recognize the USB connection to the d.c. even though they were not connected. Then, of course, the handshake would fail because the p.c. was looking at the wrong hardware. I strongly suspect that it was trying to download dives from my wireless mouse, as the mouse froze several times. Solution may be to take the mouse on the next dive and leave the d.c. at home? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom