Info Stolen Petrel 2 DiveCAN Controller for DiveRite O2ptima CM!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

attack33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sold this to a fellow SB member and they received an empty box stamped by USPS "Received, Missing Contents". It is presumed stolen during the shipping process. After various futile attempts of trying to get info from USPS, a claim was filed. Lost quite a bit of money on this one!

I am assuming the person who stole it has no idea how niche the item is and will probably toss it in the bin, but may try to put it up for sale.

Attached image of computer with detailed unique info.

Also, here it is typed out:

System Info:
Serial # : 38A50433
Features : 48009
Firmware : v93
Hardware : 3.4.4
# Dives : 10
Dive Time : 0005h00m

Please keep this post in mind if you see a similar item go up for sale.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230629_193755763.jpg
    PXL_20230629_193755763.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 68
Man that sucks.

Very weird how the box arrived without the goods... you'd think that type of trail would find its way back to whoever handled it last?

I'll ask my buddy who works for USPS.

Man that sucks.

Very weird how the box arrived without the goods... you'd think that type of trail would find its way back to whoever handled it last?

I'll ask my buddy who works for USPS.
I agree! The chain of custody should be pretty easy to figure out for a company that documents everything. Both myself and the intended recipient have tried pretty much every available method to get someone on the phone or get someone to look, but USPS has some pretty rigid processes that road block progress.

I agree! The chain of custody should be pretty easy to figure out for a company that documents everything. Both myself and the intended recipient have tried pretty much every available method to get someone on the phone or get someone to look, but USPS has some pretty rigid processes that road block progress.
Small world, your buyer was my tech instructor.. good dude

My USPS buddy said best bet is contact local post office.. bummer

I had this happen to a customer who sent me his reg and bc to service. I got a label in an envelope that usps had lost the contents of the box. Fortunately it was insured and though he lost some money on it, it got sorted but we had to jump through hoops to get it made right and the claim honored.
Another customer sent me 3 first stages and same thing. But at least the box arrived. Empty with a note, but the box got here.
In over 10 years of using them to ship worldwide, those are the only two incidents. Still not good for my customers, but 2 out of a few thousand isn't bad.
Fedex is another story. Those bast😤 can break a bowling ball in a safe surrounded by foam and packed in armor plate.
If it even arrives and is on time.

Fedex is another story. Those bast😤 can break a bowling ball in a sage surrounded by foam and packed in armor plate.
If it even arrives and is on time.
Same experience with FedEx in my area. Seems to be getting worse.

Man, that sucks! It's crazy that USPS took possession and even though the contents went missing while in their possession, they don't have processes in place to allow them to investigate along the known route. Disconcerting.

When I ship my regs for service to AirTech in Raleigh or my computers to Dive-Tronix in the NW, I always use UPS shipped from my local UPS Store that is right next to the community where we live. So far I've had no issues. They are a bit more expensive, but if (maybe when) I do have issues, I'm hopeful I'd get better assistance than if I'd used USPS.

I always hate when they ask "what's in the package" and then start asking too many questions when you tell them it's a scuba regulator or dive computer. Always makes me nervous, but so far I've not run into any issues. I'm always tempted to tell them it's an alarm clock or stuffed animal or something else very uninteresting! LOL

I had the same thing happen to me. Sold a golf club to someone. Empty box with same excuse from USPS. Cost me $250. Uninsured. Got nothing back.

I always hate when they ask "what's in the package" and then start asking too many questions when you tell them it's a scuba regulator or dive computer. Always makes me nervous, but so far I've not run into any issues. I'm always tempted to tell them it's an alarm clock or stuffed animal or something else very uninteresting! LOL
You have to be vague.
Its hoses and a regulator.
Or a timer, / pressure sensor,

I also do not like declaring the contents or value, especially to a person. In the future, I am just going to print labels at home off the website and either drop or request pickup to remain as anonymous as possible. In my mind, it cuts out the temptation at one stop in its journey for someone to pilfer the contents in route to its destination.

In the case of this stolen controller, I brought this in and packaged it at the desk in a flat rate box. Based off of what we can gather from USPS, it appears this was taken in the beginning of its journey.

Back
Top Bottom