Accurate compass??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor:
I too have the Suunto Sk-7 . Great compass. Very accurate. I have it in a retractor model, which I find more accurate than the wrist mount, but most people seem to prefer the wrist mount, and retrofit to a DSS bungee mount

ditto

Scared Silly:
High resolution does not mean a high accuracy
High accuracy does not mean a high resolution

High precision does not mean a high accuracy
High accuracy does not mean a high precision

These are all different beasts.

http://www.carlton.srsd119.ca/chemical/Sigfigs/accuracy_and_precision.htm
http://www.carlton.srsd119.ca/chemical/Sigfigs/recording_results.htm

That said, I would say that one diving compass is as accurate as another and as accurate as most land compasses.

The difference is that the resolution is less on some diving compasses and less than a land compass. My old Sherwood (aka Pelagic) has tick marks every ten degrees. My Suunto's SK-7 has tick marks every 5 degrees. They probably have the same accuracy but the Suunto has better resolution.

So, if both compasses are accurate and precise but the one has better resolution it means that you have a better chance of getting to where you want to go depending on how accurate and precise you can swim :D.

If you want more resolution you will probably have to go to a digital compass. But Suunto does not list the resolution or accuracy in their digital compasses.
Beautiful explanation between accuracy, resolution, and precision when dealing with a dive compass. The engineer in me applauds you.:dork2:

Back
Top Bottom