Accidentally detached first stage from tank with air still on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougmatic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, newer diver here with not much knowledge about equipment and whatnot. While I was tired after a couple of dives this past weekend, I had a brain fart and unscrewed the first stage yoke valve from the tank with the air not fully shut off. I don't think the air was fully on all the way, but it did make a pretty loud hiss before I took off the first stage and then shut off the air. Just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't have caused damage to the first stage. It's a new regulator - less than 10 dives on it. Thanks.

Unlikely to cause damage IMO... but I'd still check the Intermediate Pressure (IP) with an IP gauge to ensure it is steady and not creeping up which could indicate damage to the HP seat or o-rings.
They are very handy to have in your dive bag for peace of mind!
Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

Last edited:
Unlikely there is a problem.
It is even more unlikely that you were even able to unscrew the yoke while pressure was still on. It must have been a very small flow, i.e., almost off.

I think everyone has either done it or saw a person do it.......usually no biggie......almost guaranteed the O ring from the tank is gone though....

It is even more unlikely that you were even able to unscrew the yoke while pressure was still on. It must have been a very small flow, i.e., almost off.

You're probably right. I could have sworn that I did shut off the air before unscrewing the yoke, but I must not have shut off the air 100%. The tank valve being unscrewed even a tiny bit would still have made a loud hissing noise.

Unlikely to cause damage IMO... but I'd still check the Intermediate Pressure (IP) with an IP gauge to ensure it is steady and not creeping up which could indicate damage to the HP seat or o-rings.
Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

Thanks - I'll get one and figure out how to use it before my next dive just to be safe.

Thanks - I'll get one and figure out how to use it before my next dive just to be safe.
No worries... easy to use, they just snap into the BC hose connector... pressurise the reg then purge a couple of times and watch the IP over say 5 minutes. It should hold steady and not creep up... or creep down which indicates a slow leak somewhere.
Useful to check the IP from time to time anyway to gauge the health of your reg.

That's how I remove the tank o-ring if I don't have a pick with me and need to replace it light air pressure left on 1st stage Crack yoke lose.

Yep each manufacturer has a recommended IP, but usually it will be in the range 130-150psi with most at 135psi.
What brand and model first stage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom