Accident at Vortex Springs 8-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I should add this, it might give perspective.

One thing that you guys have to realize, is that true zero viz means you can't see the glow of your light when pointed straight in front of you. Once you can't see, you're following a line that could be trapped, trying to avoid pulling on it so it doesn't break, and things start going faster.

About 2 or 2 1/2 years ago, I dove Telford Springs for the first time. Telford used to be a tourist cave until land access was shut down due to a murder on site and kid who got drunk and broke his neck jumping out of a tree. Since then, silt isn't stirred up and blown out often, so visibility on exit degrades quickly. We started with 50-75ft of viz, and on the way out, had 5, then 10, and finally 15ft just before our exit. This was very unnerving for someone who had only dove Ginnie, Peacock, Jackson Blue, etc, as a "siltout" in these caves typically means 50ft of viz from 200ft.

As time goes on, you get yourself into more and more silt outs as you see more complex cave. You also become more proficient at navigating those silt outs. Since the Telford dive, I've been in varying degrees of silt, luckily progressively worse as I get more comfortable. Even when viz is less than 5ft, I'm averaging less gas coming out with flow than going in.

A few years back, 2 OW divers died in Royal Springs, about p600ft back. I dove there about a year ago, and the entire dive kept thinking to myself "how did OW divers go that far", it's incredibly silty, and a large portion of the community state that "There's 2 reasons to dive Royal, to become a body or retrieve one". My only conclusion with that is that they knew they had silted the place out, attempted to turn around, and went the wrong way. These divers went further than I felt comfortable doing in that cave.

2 weeks ago, I was diving a river cave on the Suwannee, when I saw a jump that looked like it went somewhere, so I hopped over to check it out. After going about 250 ft down it, with a bottle off to avoid scraping the crap out of the rock, I saw that the silt on the ceiling was causing the viz to degrade rapidly. I went to turn around, and the oring on my LP hose decided to blow. After I shut it down, the ruckus had caused a silt out, and I was now in 1-2ft viz. I reached over and grabbed the line, started following it. After a minute or two, the line snapped, leaving me with a loose end. I reached to grab the other end, but all I was doing was stirring up silt. I patiently waited for almost 5 minutes to regain 3-5ft viz, and carefully looked for the line, which I found. After a short travel, I was reunited with the glow of my buddy's light, a great feeling. Waiting 5 minutes frozen in the cave isn't intuitive, it's something that you really need to be told, and there has to be some level of experience knowing when viz is as good as it's going to get for a while, so get out as soon as you can to save gas.

When many of you think about this accident who aren't' familiar with caves, keep in mind that one thing training does is expose you to "training caves", which are caves chosen for training based off of a variety of reasons, the main one being that they're typically larger and less silty than the off the path caves. Unfortunately, Vortex sounds like it has some very nasty passages, but also some very easy ones. Part of training is practicing those WSHTF drills, as well as learning the warning signs. We're taught that fine particles are easy to stir up, but clear fast. Sand is harder to stir, but clears almost instantly. Clay is the hardest to stir up, but stays in the water a very long time. This diver might have never gotten the chance to practice these drills with an instructor for critique, nor did he get the time to dive training caves to practice all skills. No instructor ever pointed out to him that holding still for 5 minutes can allow things to settle and then he can continue on (instinct says to hurry back to fresh air).

Imagine being low on air, with visibility so low that you can't see your light at all. You're crawling out, but can't see where you're going, so each movement makes the silt worse and worse because you're on the ceiling or floor. Not having done any of the required skills, or at least not having been critiqued on them, it's a very scary feeling I'm sure. I think it's very possible this diver meant to head OUT of the cave, and not INTO the cave. I don't have any supporting evidence other than how far back they think he is, these clay silt outs are fairly obvious when they start happening. Put yourself in the shoes of a diver who is at 160ft with gas going fast, knows he's in over his head, can't see anything, and gets slightly disoriented. This diver is going to leave visible marks as he claws his way on the edge of insanity. Previous similar deaths have resulted in divers who have clawed so hard their fingers are extremely torn up.

It's a sad situation, for family, friends, owners of vortex, and the cave community. It could have been prevented, but it wasn't and now the only good we can make out of it is use it as a learning tool. I bet after 30 dives of diving vortex, he knew enough to be confident, but didn't have the experience to know what he was getting himself into. It's very easy to get lulled into a false sense of security by diving the same cave over and over again. Remember that you can scooter Ginnie almost all the way back to the end of the line, even hovering 6in above the bottom with the prop. Then just beyond that, when Marius swam it, the entire system was blown out from silt. Sometimes only a few feet further can completely change a dive. This poor guy could have learned that by taking a class, but didn't. In Sheck's book, he talks about his near death experiences. Someone who most consider one of the greatest cave divers ever nearly died in Jug Hole (easy by today's standards) back when he was inventing the wheel. Fortunately so many mistakes have been made that we think we've devised a system to be as safe as possible, and this guy didn't take advantage of it.

This diver lacked the training and experience. Hopefully I've painted a clear picture of what most divers progress through and it helps you understand just how beyond his experience level this guy was. James T. has an incredible amount of experience in small cave, and if he can't get back there trying hard, I just can't imagine that anyone without cave training would intentionally attempt it.

This is a tragicically sad thread. Reading through from the beginning and discovering the clues that pointed to the inevitable outcome was heart wrenching. Knowing that the rescue/recovery teams were at great risk added even more concern. The constant drumming of warnings and advice, illustrated by additional first hand examples added even more tension. The desperation of all directly involved is palpable.
And in the end, because I think its pretty much the end now, there is very little closure. I feel SO sorry and badly for the family and friends.

What did we learn? I read this out of concern and interest, but what was actually learned?

There were some points strongly reinforced, but it pretty much boils down to:

Diving is a potentially dangerous sport that through education, training, proper equipment and experience, can be acceptably managed. Risk increases with depth and then exponentially with overhead environments like caves. Only a full cave certified/deco-tech-mixed gas diver has the training necessary to deal with issues that can and do arise in a tight, deep, silty cave. OW divers should be more strongly warned during their initial certification and subsequent training to avoid overhead environments and to avoid diving beyond any limit in their training.

Certainly, all the cave divers already know this. When teaching tomorrow, I will use a reader's digest version of this thread to reinforce how dangerous untrained overhead environment diving is. Maybe the example will save someone in the long run, but I don't feel like I learned anything new. Do any of you??

The honest truth isn't about OW/recreational divers pushing and exceeding limits and training. Its not about a cave diver who ran into a bizarre problem that hasn't ever been anticipated.
Its about an individual who absolutely knew better, but instead went to extremes to break the rules with total disregard for personal safety, friends and loved ones, other divers, management and park operators, and then paid the ultimate price. You can bet he wasn't having fun either.
Its horribly frustrating and diffucult and so so sad.
:depressed:

I know that he came through our shop several times in the last few weeks. He was asking one of our cave instructors about classes. Once he found out the price he was no longer interested. I am not sure if he went to another shop inquiring. I also know that he told us that he tried to dive the Orsikany but was not allowed due to his current certification level. He was only rated to 100 feet. He also wanted to sign up for a tech course so he could go deeper. He mentioned that he was currently going through Dive con but had not finished. I know several cave divers warned him of the dangers of cave diving without proper training, but you could tell his personality was the kind that would do it regardless. He was definitely confident in his skills. To my knowledge none of this training had been completed. I do know that he posted his dive profile for the Vortex dive online. He posted as a Monday dive. I do not know if he postponed it to Wednesday or did it twice. I do know from the profile it was a hardcore dive for someone not properly trained. 8 bottles total, a 232 min. dive to 140 some odd feet.

Teaching the open water class, I stress to the students the importance of staying within their limits. Our first day of diving is at Vortex Springs. We always go over with them that as an open water diver they are to avoid overhead environments, especially caverns and caves. Unfortunately, you can only stress to them the dangers and make sure in the class the rules are followed. However, once they leave your side it is up to them. The more time they spend in the water the more comfortable and "confident" they become. This is where it can be dangerous for some. Some start to slowly push the limits, and once that limit is pushed they start to push more.

I am not a cave diver; I'm not certified in it nor have any interest. It is way too technical then I want to do. I respect it and those who do enjoy diving them and diving them properly. I am a big believer of not going beyond the spectrum of your training, instructors included. I have never been in a cave and won't without proper training. It is a completely different style of diving and people should respect that. No matter how many dives they have on their belt.

It is such an unfortunate accident which was preventable. All we can do is stress the importance of diving within the spectrum of your training and not what you consider your limits to be.

Prayers to the family and friends as well as those who have risked their lives for the recovery, hopefully this will all be over with soon.

I bet more than one of those rescure divers tinkered with how they could push farther than they may have been comfortable with to try to make thi recovery.

You would lose that bet. None of us wanted to be there doing this. We went to look for the body and turned when it was time. No one even thought about pushing farther than we went. The risks are just too high.

ElleDrewinTN:
Since all of this is foreign to me could you explain the difference of a wet and dry suit and why you should wear one and not the other when making certain dives?

And what is trimix consist of? Is it required to cave dive and used specifically for cave diving only?

Thanks in advance.

A wet suit form fits to your body while a dry suit adds more bulk. The passage at the back of this cave is very tight and the bulk of a dry suit makes it much more difficult to get through.

Trimix is a mix of oxygen, nitrogen, and helium. It is highly recommended for deep diving. Nitrogen causes something called narcosis. The deeper one goes, the higher the degree of narcosis. Narcosis is what Jacques Cousteau called the Rapture of the Deep. Some people also call it the Martini effect. Every 50 feet of depth is equivalent to one martini. However, it's not that simple. At 150 feet in a tight cave with high flow, the narcosis is more equivalent to half a dozen martinis. So we add helium into our breathing gas to negate the narcosis. Ben was not diving trimix, so in essence, he was diving drunk. The recovery divers were diving trimix and thinking very clearly because of it. Rational thought prevailed and got us out of there alive.

As for diving at Vortex, it is open for OW diving. I don't believe cave diving is being allowed at this time.

So..... has the body been found yet? Has the body been seen inside the cave out of reach of the rescuers? Or is there some other reason that they think they know where he is?

robin

So..... has the body been found yet? Has the body been seen inside the cave out of reach of the rescuers? Or is there some other reason that they think they know where he is?

robin

All your questions are answered in detail through out this thread. Short answer is No not found. Yes they have reason to believe they know he went there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom