A570IS or Reefmaster mini SL320?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where can one buy a Canon A570 from today?

It does not appear to be available as a brand new product with a full warranty.
From post #3 above:

... However, the 570 has been discontinued now for over a year. The replacement is the 590 and Canon does not make a housing for it, only Ikelite.

Where can one buy a Canon A570 from today?

It does not appear to be available as a brand new product with a full warranty.

The closest equivalent as John B has pointed out to the A570IS is the Canon A590IS using the Ikelite housing made specifically for it. The 590 does not have as good of a video function as the 570 and tests have shown it to actually be slightly less responsive (shutter speed, boot up time, flash ready time etc) than the 570IS but it has improved image processing but lacks the underwater modes of the 570IS (but retains manual white balance) and has 8MP vs 7MP so all in all I see it as a wash between the two, get a little, give a little. The good thing is that the 590 like the 570 has full manual control and Ikelite makes a housing for it and the combination functions very well with the wet mount lenses as you can see.

Since the 590 has also been out now since last spring I expect at some point not to distant to see a replacement for it as these things seem to run on a one year cycle. I hope whatever Canon replaces the 570/590 series with it is the same footprint and maintains the high degree of manual exposure/strobe/white balance control capability that this camera is well known for.

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

Underwater Housing for Canon A580iS & A590iS Cameras

N

As an alternative to the 570 (long discontinued) and the 590 (no canon housing available so you'd need an expensive ikelite), you might consider the 720. It's also discontinued, but more recently so factory refurbished units are still showing up for sale. And a canon housing is available.

As an alternative to the 570 (long discontinued) and the 590 (no canon housing available so you'd need an expensive ikelite), you might consider the 720. It's also discontinued, but more recently so factory refurbished units are still showing up for sale. And a canon housing is available.

good point---They are similar ie the 570 & 720 but the 720 is larger I believe, uses 4 vs 2 batteries(a plus some say---but I'm very happy with using 2 rechargables for 2 dives & changing out then).....I have found Amazon.com is a good resource for all these(Canon) cameras & UW housings..

Underwater Housings for Canon A710is & A720is Camera

The Ikelite housings, though somewhat larger, are so much better than the light duty, button sticking Canon units that I cannot emphasize how much I prefer my Ike to my Canon housing.

I hope that Canon is not showing their hand with discontinuing the 710/720 leaving the 590 now as the only model with full manual control of all functions. Canon, since you make about 1,000 full manuals cameras could you please make at least one or two with manual functions, please?

N
Canon A570IS (3), Ikelite housing, Canon DC-12 housing, Inon D2000 strobe, suite of Inon wet lenses, Ikelite tray, numerous homemade adapters and accessories

Back
Top Bottom