A570IS or Reefmaster mini SL320?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I've made my decision and ordered the A570IS w/canon housing. Thanks everybody for the input, it really helped me out. Also the fact that I can upgrade that system w/wet lenses..better strobe & such. I will be sure & post some pics when I get back from Coz in next month.

Last edited:
Not entirely true on the NIMh batteries, they do not need to be fully cycled like NiCds do.

N

This paragraph has been taken from a document downloaded from the Canon web site. Unfortunately the document is no longer available :

"Preventing the Memory Effect with Nickel Hydride Batteries
Always completely discharge nickel hydride batteries before recharging them. Although there are discharge devices on the market, you can easily discharge them in a pocket flashlight. These batteries will generally last for about two dives between charges, but you are recommended to have charged spares handy."

This paragraph has been taken from a document downloaded from the Canon web site. Unfortunately the document is no longer available :

"Preventing the Memory Effect with Nickel Hydride Batteries
Always completely discharge nickel hydride batteries before recharging them. Although there are discharge devices on the market, you can easily discharge them in a pocket flashlight. These batteries will generally last for about two dives between charges, but you are recommended to have charged spares handy."

Thank you but I usually go by the battery manufactures who made the batteries. I think what Canon is trying to do is make excuses possibly for the fact these cameras hardly function on some batteries and quickly show a low battery warning signal. Sometimes shutting off and rebooting clears the warning. Better yet is to use the Sanyo Eneloop or Duracell Precharged which have a flat discharge curve and work like a champ in these cameras.

SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need

http://www.duracell.com/precharged/

NiMH vs NiCd

Either the Duracell or the Sanyo will pretty much end your problems with low battery warning nuisance BS.

Quote:

"Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries can offer superior operation life between charges. This battery chemistry provides 30-40% longer operation time than NiCd, but does not operate as efficiently in extreme temperatures. In addition, NiMH is less susceptible to "memory effect" compared to NiCd batteries."

N

You made a good choice on the A570is with Canon housing. Don't forget to store with the housing open or o-ring removed. You can find parts for your sealife strobe at sealifpartsdirect.com. The 570 will allow you to grow. I started with the underwater scene mode. I have now moved to the manual mode with the underwater light setting. Power down the camera stobe to 1/3 like they were saying. Saves battery life and you only need this to trigger the fiber optic cable. Also this is important before you buy any add on lenses. Inon america is currently out of business. They can not repair or honor waranty work because home company has cut them off. To verify check out inonamerica.com. This camera got top pick for p/s by reefphoto.com. I also recommend that you keep eye on ebay for raplacement A570is or a back up. I did alot of research on batteries as I to was getting the low battery life. The powerex 2700 batteries are awesome. I suggest them they got a grate ratting on digital battery tests. I also have a Sealife Sl-960D flash. Don;t forget the movie mode on the 570is they have three modes and you can zoom and put in underwater mode. Lots of fun. I am not affiliated with any company. I simply had the same question as you and chose nearly the same equiptment. Good luck.

Inon is not out of business, I just bought several items from Inon through Reef Photo. Inon America is not Inon and was simply a middle man for importing and stocking which many dealers did not use to begin with preferring to go straight to Inon. N

Thank you but I usually go by the battery manufactures who made the batteries. I think what Canon is trying to do is make excuses possibly for the fact these cameras hardly function on some batteries and quickly show a low battery warning signal. Sometimes shutting off and rebooting clears the warning. Better yet is to use the Sanyo Eneloop or Duracell Precharged which have a flat discharge curve and work like a champ in these cameras.

SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need

Duracell? Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries

NiMH vs NiCd

Either the Duracell or the Sanyo will pretty much end your problems with low battery warning nuisance BS.

Quote:

"Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries can offer superior operation life between charges. This battery chemistry provides 30-40% longer operation time than NiCd, but does not operate as efficiently in extreme temperatures. In addition, NiMH is less susceptible to "memory effect" compared to NiCd batteries."

N

It seems that SANYO eneloop and Duracell Pre-charged rechargeables are the same.
Those batteries need a mated recharger.
They seem to be the answer to high comsumption digital cameras.
I've still not seen them in South America. Hope they come soon. The price surelly will be bizarre, but if I can dive for an hour and take 200 shots, it's worth the cost.

I believe the Eneloop and Precharged Duracell are actually re-badged versions of one another. Even if not they are the same technology and as best I can tell, having both brands, perform exactly the same. Don't let the seemingly lower rated capacity that "other" types fool you. These cells start out strong and run strong and pack a punch. They seem to work better in some Canon A series cameras because if you look at the graphs on the linked page I gave earlier they hold a higher voltage through discharge. These cameras are sensitive to low voltage, especially under load as when the strobe is recharging and will give nuisance low voltage warnings.

Also, the Eneloop is the only NiMh cell recommended for the Inon strobes. It would IMO be acceptable to use the Duracell "precharged" as well and I have.

Quote Inon:

"For "Type 3" strobes, Sanyo "eneloop"(HR-3UTG) is the ONLY compatible Ni-MH rechargeable battery. Due to their 'self-discharge' characteristics and discharge profile, older generation Ni-MH rechargeable batteries or high capacity Ni-MH batteries can lead to excessive heat during use which can damage the electronics of the D-2000 Type 3 strobe. Next generation Ni-MH battery, such as the Sanyo "eneloop"(HR-3UTG), are required to enable safe operation of the D-2000 Type 3."

Hope that this info is helpful.

N

Hi Nemrod, a further question, perhaps you have experience. Do I need a Sanyo charger for those eneloop batteries or can I charge them with a conventional Ni-MH charger ?
I have a Samya Intelligent quick battery charger TG-336 (http://www.samyatech.com.tw/eportal/modules/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18)

I bought a set of the Duracell "Precharged" with their quick charger as a packaged set. Since I believe this is the same cell and I use the charger for both. It is not expensive and you should be able to find several Duracell or Eveready chargers that will charge the Eneloops just fine. I notice my last trip to Wally World that Kodak now also brands a set of Precharged NiMh cells with charger. May be something to look at also.

N

Back
Top Bottom