a view from a dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abyss_scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is another "how much should x cost" as well as the numerous number of "my lds did/didn't do this" Let me stell you about my experience and hopefully we can see what it's like to be on this side of the counter. I started diving in 1989 after five years of North East diving and dealing with dive shops to purchase my gear I decided to become "professional" I have since 1995 worked my way up, dive master, Asisstant, Instructor, Manager, inside sales/shipping and repair for a manufacturer. 6 years ago I was laid off like many other people and decided to take my lifes savings and do what I am passionate about, start my own scuba shop. How has it been like any other endevor. Long hours, during the summer it is not uncommon for me to work 21 days straight before I get 1 day off. Wonderful I get to teach help people make gear choices based on their needs. I have been here many a night because a diver got a chance to do a dive and needed a last minute Nitox fill. I have seen many a face light up as they realized they could do this or the first time they were up close and personal with a fish. Not so great how many times has a diver come in picked my brains on a busy Saturday only to buy their gear online, or made a scene because I sold them inferior equipment only to find out they dropped a tank on their gear. I have had students miss class because they want to go to a concert and I should make up the class at no cost to them when ever they find the time to do it, or just sweep it under the rug that they did not do mask clearing.

Folks I am not the bad guy, no I don't get my gear for the same price a large online shop does but,the free airfills, first years service on your gear at no charge, loaners all have to count for something. The fact that I let you come into the pool during the off season so you don't lose your skills or the fact that hook you up with a local dive partner should mean something. I am not looking for pity or an atta boy, just the same respect you want when you go to work. I want to make a living, not get hasled for every nickle. I want what I had yesterday several invitations from divers because at the end of the day we were more than just retailer and customer, we were friends who shared a passion for diving. And no you don't have to imvite me for dinner , just see that I am a small business owner trying to make a living in a tough economy, that is willing to work with you if you are honest and don't see me as the enemy.

The fact that I let you come into the pool during the summer so you don't lose your skills or the fact that hook you up with a local dive partner should mean something.

Sell 'em a drysuit and tell 'em to stop being a wuss and dive all year round! :D

I have a good friend who you sound like here in Virginia Beach. Small business is never easy, especially when you can get things delivered to your door, for less. I do spend more with him than any other local dive shop but I still get things online and used most of the time. I am a small business owner myself and a self proclaimed "Cheap Bastard". My business is more of a service oriented business which keeps me busy and happy. Dive shops are a tough go!! Unless you live somewhere on warm water with lots of tourist, it is not easy.

You sound like you have a good shop, I wish you were in my area. I would like to have a LDS to be loyal to but I also want my shop to be loyal and dependable to me!

My usual dive shop is very good. They are one of the top UK online retailers but their shop is in easy reach of where I live. All you need to do is make it clear you are spending a load of cash and he will offer you a better deal than his online prices, which are already competitive. He will always match any genuine like for like price so you are guaranteed a good deal. The shop is quite big and he holds a lot of stock. He runs a club from the shop and all members get free air and an additional discount. I don't know any shop that offers free fills though.

In a capitalist economy, the market sets the price but you still have to be firm against those that walk in demanding freebies.

I don't know if it's the same in the US but I understand UK retailers are put under a lot of pressure from manufacturers to keep prices high, a practice that is illegal. They do not admit to doing it but I have heard that retailers that offer low prices have had their account cancelled if they are a day late paying an invoice.

Sorry Dave I fixed it to read off season, but hey I like your idea, lol.

I thought you did - diving in the pool in summer is just daft! :wink:

The sad realitiy is, if you don't have a business model that will be profitable in todays scuba market, no amount of passion or hard work on you part is going to help much. You seem like a nice guy and it sounds like you run a good shop, but business is business and you need to adapt or fail.

From the outside looking in - I think the model for a successful LDS and many other small businesses is changing. Many challenges: online shopping so easy, social networking making information a click away, dive clubs bringing divers together for trips, equipment sales, and mentoring, many independent instructors, and big box sporting goods stores entering the market...just to name a few.

Not sure what the LDS of the future will look like and I guess the shops that figure it out will survive/thrive.

no doubt the business model is changing, years ago it was sell training on the cheap and make the profit on the gear sales. Well, that is changing for sure. I imagine the future will hold higher prices on the things that cannot be had online; such as gas fills, instruction and some of the service work. I see private instruction and personalized service as being important to the small dive shop as well.

With the internet and ease of online shopping, shops will suffer. It is so easy to shop about for the best prices online so those with a warehouse will do better than those paying higher overheads to maintain a shop. Having said that, most divers prefer to do certain purchases face to face. If I wanted a computer, I would go online every time if that's where the best price is, but I want to try a wetsuit on before I buy.

The most successful LDS will be the one that does both of the above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom