A tough one (politically)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
FifthD was, and is, a Halcyon product dealer. They teach classes also. The ownership has changed, but really has nothing to do with GUE. There are a number of posts that indicate that their customer service has tanked after the ownership changed.

I'm a NAUI instructor working at Fifth Dimension, and would like to clarify these comments.

First, there are two distinct entities being discussed here ...

Fifth Dimension is a dive shop in Issaquah, WA. About two years ago the business partners, Andrew G and Mark T, split up. Mark bought out Andrew's share of the business. Andrew retained rights to the 5th D name, moved to San Diego, and started his own business ... 5th D-X.

Because of the resulting name confusion, Mark has decided to change the name of his business to Pacific Rim Aquatics. As any of you who have been through a business name-change know, this is not a simple process and takes time if you don't want to lose the identity your business has built up over time. That process is ongoing at this time. Fifth Dimension/Pacific Rim is a GUE shop, and still teaches GUE classes.

5th D-X is Andrew's business in San Diego. There has recently been a rift between AG and GUE that has resulted in Andrew's decision to move from GUE to NAUI. Personally, I regret that this has happened, because he's a great instructor and has done a great deal of good for the diving community. Furthermore, I had found the GUE instructor I wanted to continue my education with in Joe Talavera ... but Joe has also decided to leave GUE and work with Andrew. Now ... working for a GUE shop ... that leaves me in something of a quandary, as I firmly believe that the instructor makes far more of a difference in your educational experience than the agency. And frankly, Joe's teaching style fits my learning style better than any instructor I've ever worked with. Personally, I wish him and Andrew all the success they have earned ... which is considerable.

Those sentiments may not make me popular with the GUE community ... but they are my own, and I have to be honest with myself.

As to the comment that "customer service has tanked after the ownership change" ... I would take issue with that. There have been some complaints ... and frankly, there have been some things that weren't handled well. I think it's fair to say any business makes transactions that don't go the way they'd like, and sometimes makes mistakes in how those get handled. But, if I felt the business wasn't paying attention to their customers in a way that showed integrity, I wouldn't have chosen to affiliate myself with the business.

As I said, I'm an instructor ... I don't handle floor sales or online transactions. But I do care very much that our customers are treated properly ... as does Mark and every other staff member. And if I see a transaction not going well, and feel there is something I can do to help the customer walk away happy, I will do it. In the case that started the TDS thread, I personally took care of the person who created it. To my knowledge, he came away from the transaction satisfied that he'd been dealt with fairly (you'll have to check with him ... but that's what he indicated to me after we completed our discussions).

Hope that helps clarify ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

boomx5:
I'm wondering if it will be Bob Sherwood...it seems like he has been filling a bit of the void with the departure of certain GUE instructors.
Steve White will be teaching the DIR-F classes ... Bob Sherwood will be doing Rec Triox and Tech 1. Not sure who will be doing Tech 2 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Guys lets stay on point here, lest this deteriorate quickly. NWGrateful, not disrespect to you and I understand your need to clear the air a bit. Notwithstanding the fact I just ordered my BP/W from you guys yesterday! :)

I did read AG's post on the 5thd-X site and it made sense.

Again, I appreciate the very even tone so far. The information has been excellent too and hopefully will benefit others with this curiousity.

PerroneFord:
Guys lets stay on point here, lest this deteriorate quickly. NWGrateful, not disrespect to you and I understand your need to clear the air a bit. Notwithstanding the fact I just ordered my BP/W from you guys yesterday! :)

I did read AG's post on the 5thd-X site and it made sense.

Again, I appreciate the very even tone so far. The information has been excellent too and hopefully will benefit others with this curiousity.
As long as we can keep Trey out of it, I think the discussion will stay on an even tone ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mweitz:
...But, to keep current on GUE / DIR happenings subscribe to the gavinscooter list on Yahoo...and the Quest list...

How does one subscribe to the gavin scooter list? I went to yahoo groups and searched, but could not easily find it. Can someone post a link?

To give people a little more background on Fifthd/PacificRim: Mark is the owner of the shop now and has bought out AGs share. Mark dives with Walter Jaccard in SCRET (www.scret.org), where they've both been doing a great job with exploration and with mentoring puget sound tech divers. Both of them have been to Wakulla and have dove with the WKPP (I believe in a support role), and regularly head to Fl to dive the caves there. I believe JJ will be teaching Tech 2 this weekend with FifthD and him (?) and GI3 will be here next weekend for Fifthd/PacificRim's Halcyon demo days. Stephen White will be teaching the upcoming fudies class this month (dunno who is scheduled for Nov, but its probably him) and Bob Sherwood will be teaching the upcoming RecTriox (and maybe Tech 1, I can't remember...).

EDIT: I've tried to stick just to the facts. I'm also not affiliated with the shop, so please confirm with the shop if the info is important to you. Since PerroneFord and others were clearly wanting information about the shop, I hope this information together with what bob wrote helps them.

I'm in, or at least will be in, the same position as you are now. I've been waiting for a thread like this. Unfortunatly the search fuction doesn't enjoy working with initials. Time to start reading.

The information was useful and very welcome. Thank you.

Also, this post to the mailing list would probably be of interest to the future-DIRFies:

To: fifthd-pacificrim@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FifthD-PacificRim] Next Tweek
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:48:34 -0700 (PDT)

Thursday night our new resident GUE instructor Steve White will be
hosting a tweek dive at cove two. Its a chance for the upcoming DIRF
class to meet him before we get started with class on the 16th.
Steve's use to diving in the mediterrean so let's go easy on him.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom