a thread ALL locals should read.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted Kennedy started an artificial reef himself about 40 years ago.

I talked to someone (I think they were from the Bay State Council of divers) as recently as last Sea Rovers and they told me there was still an ongoing efforts to get this going. I guess a big part of the process is figuring out the best place to put a wreck that will have the least environmental impact. To that end I know volunteer divers have been doing survey work to document the bottom conditions at various possible sites.

Two questions I asked were whether there was any MA legislative support for doing this, because I think it could get done quicker if there was someone pushing it from inside the system. Two, are there any financials numbers available about what impact, if any, that having an intact wreck at recreational depths would have on the MA tourism industry. Would the wreck actually bring divers to MA? If this could be documented, then the whole thing would have a much better chance of being a go. They didn’t really have an answer to either question. I may take in some of the lectures about the Wreck to reefs program at DEMA this year, because as a shop owner and diver I would love to see this happen.

Paul

well as far as bringing in tourism.
if its a fishing boat, like the Idene , as nice as that could be i dont think its gonna be a big draw.
but if theres something big. like a old naval ship, at a depth that can be explored by new divers, and deep for tech divers. well then hell yeah it will

Diesel298:
well as far as bringing in tourism.
if its a fishing boat, like the Idene , as nice as that could be i dont think its gonna be a big draw.
but if theres something big. like a old naval ship, at a depth that can be explored by new divers, and deep for tech divers. well then hell yeah it will

Yeah -- when I heard Dick Long speak about the Yukon, he kept repeating "get a ship with guns" like a mantra......;-)

yup. now thats what im talkin about

MASS-Diver:
SINK THE SALEM - the huge battle ship sits at the foreriver bridge in Quincy . It's one of the only battle ships not to fire a shot in anger in WWII. It would be a world class artifical reef.

No way, the salem is a piece of history that should be available above the surface for non-divers. Plus, its owned (or leased) by a private organization.

I've done a lot of volunteering on it (I live in Quincy). I'll definetly be there for the halloween haunted salem. I'll be in cammies down in the ship somewhere. I might even be in charge of the cadets assigned to do the fire exit guarding and safety posts.

MASS-Diver:
while I'm on a rant, when is the are of Pegotty beach where the Forest Queen was found every going to be open? The guy "found" the wreck something like 10years ago and one still can't dive there!
I just got invited to dive it in July, so I'll be sure to ask. :D

ShakaZulu:
I think if you learn to spell first, we may understand what you are trying to say?

"I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and as a group we can make some serious headway on this subject.

What you ask?

An artificial reef program in new England.

Why is there no substantial program, and how can we get one going? I think it would be great to see some of the old navy warships sunk in our waters. So let’s get some discussion going, and maybe someone qualified can get the ball going. I don’t need to go into why it would be great to have this. I’m sure we are all on the same page there, so........"

Although this is WAY late......Thank you VERY much for correcting Ray. Im sure he not only thanks you for pointing out any spelling errors, but also for being an as sh ole as well. As we all do. Im sure your mother is very proud of you. "I" however, think you're a mean spirited SOB. Thank you, come again.

Back
Top Bottom