a thread ALL locals should read.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
John, The Pinthis is still in fairly good shape, or at least it was when I was there last [April]. But there are others. I did a few dives on the Pug Wreck [120'] over the winter, and then that last dive I got out on this year was on a new [to us] schooner in about 120'.

That's good to hear about the pinthis, although I would still think it's a dive best suited to people with overhead training, since the outside seems like it could get boring fast.

Wrecks like the Pug, the Bretton reef lightship, bone wreck, the holmes etc. (120-160') kind of reinforce my take that the best wreck diving in MA is tech diving. Even for those that's don't want to use HE mixes at this depth and are comfrotable diving air or lean NITROX, it's pretty hard to get decent bottom in that range for rec/NDL divers. Who wants to do a 9min bounce dive?

Atleast where I live (on the South Shore) the guys in the 70s-early 80s really did a ton of diving and found most of the shallow water stuff pretty fast. I don't think there are too many intact/upright mystery wrecks out there in less than 100'. And I think most of the wrecks people like NADE are looking for (and finding) are primarily tech wrecks.

I guess my point is 1.) if you like wrecks and you live in NE you will want to get a TRIMIX cert eventually 2.) A large artifical reef in the 80-100' range would be pretty cool, since we don't have dozens and dozens of wrecks in this range and all fisheries (except for lobsters) have pretty much collapsed.

MASS-Diver:
I guess my point is 1.) if you like wrecks and you live in NE you will want to get a TRIMIX cert eventually 2.) A large artifical reef in the 80-100' range would be pretty cool, since we don't have dozens and dozens of wrecks in this range and all fisheries (except for lobsters) have pretty much collapsed.

Someone came and spoke about the artificial reef program last year to MWDC. Basically, it's FAR more cost effective on a state level to drop some reef balls down there or some old tires than to spending millions of dollars cleaning a ship, especially when it's only the divers that notice the difference. He essentially said, it's never going to happen in Mass. There are no artificial reef shipwrecks in Massachusetts.

the ships have to be cleaned out anyway weather it be for scaap or a reef
one nice thing here in RI is theres a few subs that where sunk durning wepons test way back when....
mabye they can just start that again

Soggy:
Someone came and spoke about the artificial reef program last year to MWDC. Basically, it's FAR more cost effective on a state level to drop some reef balls down there or some old tires than to spending millions of dollars cleaning a ship, especially when it's only the divers that notice the difference. He essentially said, it's never going to happen in Mass. There are no artificial reef shipwrecks in Massachusetts.

Yup, I used to dive with Bob Bob Michelson, as he and my Dad are good friends, and I was always asking about artifical reefs and he made the same point - it's much, much cheaper to use those weird dome shaped things than ships.

Personally, I think it's BS. We have the largest striped bass fishery in the country, recreational fishing (charter, etc) is huge here - a big ship would be a major fishing attraction (unlike the much smaller scale tire reefs) and we have lots of people that dive as well. Maybe if the EPA would streamline the process a bit......

One thing I was thinking of is that I have sneaking suspiscion that there are a number of wrecks in the 100' range out of stellwagon bank where diving is prohibited by NOAA, it would cool if they opened that area up. It seems like people are allowed to set gill nets on a large portion of the bank, but we can't dive wrecks there?

And while I'm on a rant, when is the are of Pegotty beach where the Forest Queen was found every going to be open? The guy "found" the wreck something like 10years ago and one still can't dive there!

Diesel298:
one nice thing here in RI is theres a few subs that where sunk durning wepons test way back when....
Diesel & everyone else that is interested in this topic:
You will want to get in touch with Dave Swain at Ocean State Scuba. He is very passionate about this subject and has been talking to the folks at the Ships to Reefs program. Dave has caught the ear of RISAA Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Assoc.
They are a 4000+ member club. The only way this will happen is from a grassroots effort. If left to the state, nothing will ever happen.

Diesel298:

Not NEARLY to the same stringent rules. Also, think about State vs Federal Money. If Mass wanted to sink an artificial reef, they'd have to first buy a decommissioned vessel (state money), clean it to both federal and state standards (state money), and sink it (state money) vs when the Navy does this, it's all Federal money, which doesn't *directly* affect our state budgets. As nice as it would be, personally, I think there are a lot better things Massachusetts can do with its money than clean ships out.

Soggy:
Not NEARLY to the same stringent rules. Also, think about State vs Federal Money. If Mass wanted to sink an artificial reef, they'd have to first buy a decommissioned vessel (state money), clean it to both federal and state standards (state money), and sink it (state money) vs when the Navy does this, it's all Federal money, which doesn't *directly* affect our state budgets. As nice as it would be, personally, I think there are a lot better things Massachusetts can do with its money than clean ships out.

A good point about Fed vs. state budgets, but the fact is that whether is MA, RI, ME or any other state the federal government is desparate to get rid of these assets (and liabilities). The vessel itself needs to be "donated" (might be sold for nominal fee, i.e., $1)to the STATE government. Typically the feds will pay to clean it, but probably not to transport and sink it. This money will generally come from the "organization" who is coordinating this effort, and this money is usually generated by fundraisers and donations.

The Herron is in 75 feet of water. It's between Point Judith and Block Island. It's not completely intact. It's in 2 pieces. It's a nice dive if you haven't seen it yet. It's a decent 2nd dive after the U-853.

And a reef program would definitely be nice. Good idea and thanks for bringing it up here.

Michael

any dive is a good dive.
and there will NEVER be enough dive sites to explore.
theres nothing like exploring a wreck for the first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom