A (stupid) gas blending question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taimen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering how gas mixtures behave in cascades or during transfilling.

If I connect two cylinders containing different mixes with a short 3ft decanting hose, how long it will take before gas mixtures equilibriate?
Or if doubles are filled with different mixtures and manifold opened?

you need a pressure differential to move/mix the gasses....

I am wondering how gas mixtures behave in cascades or during transfilling.

If I connect two cylinders containing different mixes with a short 3ft decanting hose, how long it will take before gas mixtures equilibriate?
Or if doubles are filled with different mixtures and manifold opened?
Ages.

I tried it a couple of years ago with two tanks of different mixes. I wanted them to end up with about the same mix, so I connected them with a fill whip in the afternoon. I came back the next day and found both tanks had exactly the same mixes as they had the day before.

We had a thread on this topic on ScubaBoard about a year or so ago, and many people related the same experience.

Depends on how fast you put the second gas in. I find that the slower you add the second gas, the longer it takes to get a uniform blend, and in the case of a set of doubles, lets say you have 32% in one side at 3,000 PSI and 21/35 in the other side at 3,000 PSI, it would probably take months to get them to equalize mixtures.

So I guess we are not sure what you are talking about. Are you asking about adding new gas to a tank that is only partially full, or are you trying to get two separate and full tanks to mix through a connection?

So I guess we are not sure what you are talking about. Are you asking about adding new gas to a tank that is only partially full, or are you trying to get two separate and full tanks to mix through a connection?

I was asking about mixing separate tanks with different mixes through a connection. Exactly the situation you @boulderjohn and @Wookie answered.

without a pretty good pressure differential, then "forever"...

you need a pressure differential to move/mix the gasses....

Well there is partial pressure differential if the mixes are different. It seems that diffusion through a fill whip is just too slow to be practical.

Well there is partial pressure differential if the mixes are different. It seems that diffusion through a fill whip is just too slow to be practical.
This^^^^

Back
Top Bottom