A question of etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishstiq:
So is a wireless computer not reliable? i understand it has failure points (lost signal, dead batteries, flooding). I was under the impression though that the technology was pretty reliable given the regularity that i see experienced divers useing the Vytec. ).
It is reliable. But, it is also electronic, and that is less reliable than a simple analog mechanical pressure gauge (yeh, gang, that may be a bit of a provacative statement, so let 'er rip if you must. But, read on, first)
Fishstiq:
Would it be acceptable then to use the wireless connection for recreational diving and add on an spg for wrecks, caves and more intense diving?
It is good that your diving is for fun! Why do it, otherwise? If you wish to be minimalist, get a good analog / mechanical pressure gauge as your primary instrument. Add a depth gauge if you wish, but it is not a big deal. Use your Vytec for depth, and back-up pressure info. If the sync with the transmitter fails, you still have pressure (from the spg) and depth (from the Vytec) info. The Vytec will generally let you know in advance when it needs a new battery so abrupt failure is unlikely. If it fails during a dive, just abort the dive and ascend. I dive a Vytec with transmitter for rec, and love it. It DOES periodically (rarely) not sync with the transmitter and I lose (computer) pressure info. No big deal, and I don't consider it unreliable at all, just unavailable once in a (great) while. As I dive rec with a console with analog depth and pressure gauges, I use my console for primary pressure info, and the Vytec for back-up. I would not (EVER) dive with an electronic pressure gauge as my only pressure source, but that is just me. The Vytec is a good instrument. I also use it when diving tec, I just do not use the transmitter (partially because it is more trouble than it is worth to move the transmitter from my rec reg to my tec gear).

Fishstiq:
Okay, i think i understand the points of view here. so is a wireless computer not reliable? i understand it has failure points (lost signal, dead batteries, flooding). I was under the impression though that the technology was pretty reliable given the regularity that i see experienced divers useing the Vytec. Would it be acceptable then to use the wireless connection for recreational diving and add on an spg for wrecks, caves and more intense diving? Most of my diving is for photography or simple enjoyment (or crab).

For recreational dives, I solely use my Vytec w/ transmitter. I do a lot of u/w photography lately so I find having the air pressure right there on my wrist convenient while shooting. I do however bring along my spg in my bag just in case the transmitter quits in the middle of a holiday. For any technical diving, I just use my spg. I know others who like to use their wireless transmitter and spg on their doubles.

hogarthian is not minimalist at the sacrifice of rugged safety. 'two is one and one is none.' since air integrated computers fail much more than spg's, an spg will be the preferred choice.

but you know what? there are no hog police. if you're happy, that's what counts. if you're always able to thumb the dive & come on up, that sounds reasonable to me.

H2Andy:
..snip..
also, the chances of an SPG failing are slim to none, so ...
..snip..

My mechanical SPG failed recently in Coz after 5 years use and several hundred dives.
I started coming back from every dive with 140bar remaining which was really upsetting everyone because they thought I was turning into a fish. I thought my really low SAC was due to all the drift dives with no finning.
Anyway on the last dive of the last day, the SPG banged against the ladder and it dropped to 50bar!
I changed it for the next dive. :wink:

my SPG "failed" when i dropped a tank on it and cracked the glass

flooded on the next dive

it still worked for the next five days of diving =)

btw if you dont use a boot its much easier to get it broken, plus it voids the warranty on at least OMS SPGs
plus ive seen high quality and well serviced spgs that marked about 500 psi more than reality

well, can we agree that an SPG is much less likely to fail than a hoseless computer/pressure gauge?

i believe that's the issue

Well now, i didn't expect all this. Okay, i know now (if i had any doubt before) that a mechanical spg is more reliable than a wireless spg. I know that eliminating a hose for a wireless guage is arguably "hogartian" depending on your definition. Apparently there is more than one definitin for hogarthian though, considering this thread. Some say it is minimal gear, some say it is simple gear, and there is quite a difference between the two. Then there are the hybrids, who consider it minimal simple gear.... So i have decided that until i have tested faith in my Vytec, i will be diving with it and an spg and comparing the two during recreational dives. Once i am used to my computer and have seen firsthand it's performance in a vaiety of cold murky conditions (where i dive), if it is satisfactory, i will be diving with just my comp during rec dives, and adding an spg for redundancy during wreck dives or anything like that. Thoughts? And i'm sure there will be plenty... I welcome all though. that's why i asked this question here, among more experienced divers. Honestly, i think the people who disagree with me might even be more helpfull!

I'll bet that if you tried, and with just a little practice, you could estimate your remaining air pressure at any time during the dive and be darned close. I only look at my spg maybe two or three times during the entire dive, to confirm what I already know, which is why I like it clipped neatly on my left hip D ring out of the way. I don't need it on my wrist. I don't need to be looking at it, looking at it, looking at it... all during the dive. So why have an expensive, less reliable gadget that I shouldn't need anyway? I mean, nothing wrong with having it if you like it, but it isn't hog/minimalistic.

It's not hog to bring a backup for an extra piece of gear - in a cave, wreck or any other place.

Fishstiq:
...i think the people who disagree with me might even be more helpfull!
:D

Fishstiq:
Thoughts?

Sounds to me like you've really thought this through..... Whether people agree with your solution or not doesn't matter. You're putting solid reasoning into your choices and that's the main thing. Keep up the good work.

R..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom