A question of etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishstiq

Registered
Reaction score
I am a fairly new diver, but have decided i favor the Hog style of minimalist diving. I am a cold water diver, wich requires plenty of gear by it's very nature, but i still try to get rid of what i don't need. Having said that...

I recently purchased a Suunto Vytec DS with transmitter for wireless (hoseless) air integration, the partial purpose of wich is to eliminate a hose and a big ol' honkin console. Now i am being "advised" to get an spg on a hose in case the computer fails. I am all for redundancy for safety's sake, but if i lose the use of the computer, my dive is over. I find it acceptable to simply use my buddy's computer for depth and time to facilitate a safe ascent with the necessary safety stop. i am well aware of my own "rock bottom" and can't imagine a scenario (I know i'm gonna hear all the "what if's" now) where my computer fails at the exact time i reach my rock bottom psi and i go below it without noticing. If i am close enoough to be in doubt, i would simply accepty my buddy's octo before i ran out of air and eliminate an emergency ooa before it happened. an additional spg seems unnecessary and kills the point of going with a hoseless air integrated computer. I could have spent half the money with the same resulting configuration. Am I missing something here?:confused: Wouldn't be the first time....

You're making it too complicated. Part of going HOG is not diving with 2nd best solutions for something. A mechanical spg is more reliable than a wireless link and that's all you need to know to make the decision.

R..

i'm not sure what your question is

if your AI computer fails, you lose both the computer and your air info

if you have separate air and computer units (i.e. SPG and computer), then you don't lose all the info if one should fail

also, the chances of an SPG failing are slim to none, so ...

that's the bottom line for me

My question is wether or not i need an spg on a hose. is the redundancy necessary? I may have misunderstood, but i thought the meaning of minimalist diving was eliminating unnecessary gear, not having the simplest gear. i know wireless comps have their downfalls, but i'm a fairly tech-oriented guy, and i think i'm responsible enough to change a battery and do a little maintenance.

you mean, if you use an AI computer, do you also have to carry a back-up SPG?

for recreational diving, i would say no. the computer will be reliable enough, and if it fritzes, you can always do a safe ascent to the surface anyway

Being new to the whole Hog config myself, as I understand it, it's not just about being a "minimalist". Here's a link to a good explanation http://www.cavedivers.com.au/articles/hogarth.htm . It's a collection of gear to become a cohesive unit, with your team being equipped the same, among other points. Less is best, but not at the expense of safety.

For easy recreational dives I see no problem beyond the obvious, many people use em and have no SPG, but it's not HOG as I understand it. Do you NEED a redundant SPG, guess that depends on your diving. IMO If it isn't safe to ascend at anytime during your dive for whatever reason (boats, current, kelp, etc.) except in an emergency, then yes get a SPG. YMMV

-Garrett

I've used a wiress AI computer before (the older Vytec) and it has never failed on me once. However, I do have to sync it to the tank beforehand, and on occasion, I've gone in without syncing it. No biggie since I have a simple brass SPG clipped off. The AI and computer I only use on simple shallower type dives more as a convenience than anything else.

So don't get one. Go dive.

But, If you ever have a problem with your wireless mid-dive, you probably think again about having a back up indicator. I'd be more comfortable having a cheap backup.

BTW, those batteries go out pretty frequently. I've had instruments quit mid-dive, even in my pool.

So what do you do if your computer can't give you gas pressure, depth, or bottom time? Quit the dive or turn to your buddy? You'll go through buddies quick that way.

Fishstiq:
My question is wether or not i need an spg on a hose. is the redundancy necessary? I may have misunderstood, but i thought the meaning of minimalist diving was eliminating unnecessary gear, not having the simplest gear. i know wireless comps have their downfalls, but i'm a fairly tech-oriented guy, and i think i'm responsible enough to change a battery and do a little maintenance.

I understand what you're saying. You're telling me that you think an AI computer is more minimalist than an SPG because it eliminates the hose.

Fair enough, I think your right about that.

You're also asking the question if you need to have a redundant spg. The answer to that from a Hogarthian point if view is a clear "no". You need one SPG but it has to be reliable enough that the whole discussion about gauge redundancy is moot.

In terms of what's more important I would put reliability before minimalism.

R..

I could not imagine air integration being considered more minimal than a spg. While it eliminates a hose, it adds several failure points and failure modes that an spg does not have. Then as a result of one of the failure modes, loss of signal etc, one must carry the spg anyways so in the end it results in more complication, reduced reliability and increased failure possibilities. N

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom